Shimano RSX

needhelp

Mar 29, 2005
Hi does anyone know where I can get a set of shimano 7 speed rsx sti shifters for a double front from?

Thanks in advance.

needhelp said:
Hi does anyone know where I can get a set of shimano 7 speed rsx sti shifters for a double front from?

Thanks in advance.

eBay will be your best bet.

I have been looking on ebay for a while and no luck as yet, looks like the only 7 speed i can get are the sora shifters, is this right?

needhelp said:
I have been looking on ebay for a while and no luck as yet, looks like the only 7 speed i can get are the sora shifters, is this right?
An 8-speed STI shifter will also index to a 7-speed cassette -- the spacing is essentially the same (close enough).

You will simply have an extra "click" in the lever (BTW. I recommend the extra "click" be on the small end of the cassette ... others suggest the extra "click" be on the large end).

alfeng said:
An 8-speed STI shifter will also index to a 7-speed cassette -- the spacing is essentially the same (close enough).

You will simply have an extra "click" in the lever (BTW. I recommend the extra "click" be on the small end of the cassette ... others suggest the extra "click" be on the large end).

Adjust your limit screw on your RD and you won't have the extra click to worry about.

capwater said:
Adjust your limit screw on your RD and you won't have the extra click to worry about.
Actually, you shouldn't need to change the existing stops on your rear derailleur if they are properly set ...

I was referring to the indexing adjustment with regard to where the "extra click" occurs -- as I previously noted, I would prefer to have it occur on the SMALL end of the cassette.

capwater said:
You'll have all of the clicks either way, but a properly adjusted RD will keep that click from dumping the chain off of the cassette. As for the index spacing, it shouldn't matter if the you're using the top or bottom seven.

I have a shogun team issue road bike which had 7 speed shimano rsx 100 running gear when I bought it. I managed to get a new rsx 100 sti conversion kit off ebay for Aud $80.00, however this was 8 speed.

I went ahead with the conversion which meant removing the downtube levers and replacing them with the supplied cable adjusters. The extra click is there at the high end, due to cable stretch but the derailleur will not let the chain jump off. Top gear is high enough and I have never accidently tried to engage a higher gear.

I had thought that if this became a problem I could always get an 8 speed rear wheel and if I ever see one on ebay with an rsx 100 hub or even just the hub I will probably buy it but so far I haven't nor has this been a problem