Shimano RX100 STI group vs. Dura-Ace

bicycle6228

Guest
In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
state
the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
offer,
especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
groups. Thanks.

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
bicycle6228 <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
> state
> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
> offer,
> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
> groups. Thanks.

10,000USD

Just ask Joe Santaniello, if you need details.

"bicycle6228" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
> state
> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
> offer,
> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
> groups. Thanks.

Well, is the insurance company going to pay "replacement cost" or what you
paid for the bike/parts? Have they asked for receipts? I would go to an LBS
and get a written estimate from them that includes DA parts. If the
insurance company wants *proof* that you replaced your low end RX100 parts
with DA, can you prove it, i.e., show them the DA parts or receipts for the
parts? Good Luck!

On Jun 26, 9:33 am, bicycle6228 <[email protected]> wrote:
> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
> state
> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
> offer,
> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
> groups. Thanks.

IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components. Getting
more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Jun 26, 9:33 am, bicycle6228 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
>> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
>> state
>> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
>> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
>> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
>> offer,
>> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
>> groups. Thanks.

> IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
> you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
> the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components. Getting
> more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the condition, will
be taken from pricing at the time of original purchase.

On Jun 26, 10:10 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, etpuis a
> déclaré :
>
> > On Jun 26, 9:33 am, bicycle6228 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
> >> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
> >> state
> >> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
> >> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
> >> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
> >> offer,
> >> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
> >> groups. Thanks.

> > IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
> > you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
> > the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components. Getting
> > more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

> Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
> language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the condition, will
> be taken from pricing at the time of original purchase.

It is not the OP's insurance company which the claim is being made
against. I believe the compensation is governed in such a case by
state law, not by the "language of [someone else's] policy". Of
course, we do not know which state the OP resides in.

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Jun 26, 10:10 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dans le message
>> denews:[email protected], Ozark
>> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
>> a déclaré :

>>> IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
>>> you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
>>> the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components.
>>> Getting more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

>> Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
>> language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the
>> condition, will be taken from pricing at the time of original
>> purchase.

> It is not the OP's insurance company which the claim is being made
> against. I believe the compensation is governed in such a case by
> state law, not by the "language of [someone else's] policy". Of
> course, we do not know which state the OP resides in.

As to insurance, the limit is the liability of the person at fault and his
own insurer. So, that's where the condition arises. As to total liability,
typically, state law requires putting the person in the position prior to
damages, which is clearly a depreciated bike. How much is a different
subject. Nonetheless, rules is rules.

On the other hand, unless the bike was smashed while it was parked, there
may be some leverage to be had in giving up the right to sue for personal
injuries, in exchange for generosity on the part of the party at fault.
Nothing was said about that, but it is a real consideration in coming to a
final agreement.

On Jun 26, 10:31 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, etpuis a
> déclaré :
>

> > On Jun 26, 10:10 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Dans le message
> >> denews:[email protected], Ozark
> >> Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
> >> a déclaré :

> >> Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
> >> language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the
> >> condition, will be taken from pricing at the time of original
> >> purchase.

> > It is not the OP's insurance company which the claim is being made
> > against. I believe the compensation is governed in such a case by
> > state law, not by the "language of [someone else's] policy". Of
> > course, we do not know which state the OP resides in.

> As to insurance, the limit is the liability of the person at fault and his
> own insurer. So, that's where the condition arises.

Sure, but even a brand new, top of the line C'dale is pretty low cost
compared to an auto-to-auto collision, so the liability limit
shouldn't be an issue.

> As to total liability,
> typically, state law requires putting the person in the position prior to
> damages, which is clearly a depreciated bike. How much is a different
> subject. Nonetheless, rules is rules.

I suspect this varies from state to state. I, personally, had very
different experiences in Massachusetts.

> On the other hand, unless the bike was smashed while it was parked, there
> may be some leverage to be had in giving up the right to sue for personal
> injuries, in exchange for generosity on the part of the party at fault.
> Nothing was said about that, but it is a real consideration in coming to a
> final agreement.-

What works in the OP's favor, IMO, is that this is a pretty small
claim.

On Jun 26, 11:10 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, etpuis a
> déclaré :
>
> > On Jun 26, 9:33 am, bicycle6228 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In order to replace my 1996 Cannondale R600 bicycle that was damaged
> >> in a collision, the motorist's insurance company requires that I
> >> state
> >> the cost of the bicycle. It was equipped by Cannondale with the
> >> Shimano RX100 STI group, but at some point had all components changed
> >> to Shimano Dura-Ace. Looking for any comparisons / remarks anyone can
> >> offer,
> >> especially pertaining to retail prices, regarding these component
> >> groups. Thanks.

> > IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
> > you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
> > the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components. Getting
> > more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

> Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
> language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the condition, will
> be taken from pricing at the time of original purchase.

Depending on when the bike was upgraded, the depreciated value will
likely be close to zero. Most policies depreciate sporting goods at
10% of the original value per year.

On Jun 26, 12:07 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:10 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> > Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
> > déclaré :

> > > IME, you should demand replacement cost in today's market. I suggest
> > > you go to a C'dale dealer, and get a written estimate of the cost of
> > > the 2007 equivalent C'dale model upgraded with D-A components. Getting
> > > more than one written estimate will make your case stronger.

> > Whether it will be current cost, or depreciated value, depends on the
> > language of the policy. Depreciation cost, if that is the condition, will
> > be taken from pricing at the time of original purchase.

> Depending on when the bike was upgraded, the depreciated value will
> likely be close to zero. Most policies depreciate sporting goods at
> 10% of the original value per year.-

Exactly! The depreciated value of any non-collectible 10+ year old
bike will be dismally low. The OP is best served by pursuing the
"replacement" strategy.