Shimano Sandals -- Velcro Problems

Sam Huffman

Guest
Hello, I have a pair of the wonderful Shimano SD-60 sandals. For around
3 years these have been my only cycling shoes, for all conditions.

However, slowly over the last year, the velcro on both straps on the
right sandal has ceased to hold. I need to adjust the straps every 4-5
miles, and even so the straps sometimes open at very inopportune times.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a solution?
They're in great shape other than this problem, so I hate to spend $75
on a new pair..

Thanks,
Sam

"Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I have a pair of the wonderful Shimano SD-60 sandals. For around
> 3 years these have been my only cycling shoes, for all conditions.
>
> However, slowly over the last year, the velcro on both straps on the
> right sandal has ceased to hold. I need to adjust the straps every 4-5
> miles, and even so the straps sometimes open at very inopportune times.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a solution?
> They're in great shape other than this problem, so I hate to spend $75
> on a new pair..

Go to a cobbler, have him/her stitch on some new velcro.

In article <38Sid.359076$MQ5.54386@attbi_s52>, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello, I have a pair of the wonderful Shimano SD-60 sandals. For around
> > 3 years these have been my only cycling shoes, for all conditions.
> >
> > However, slowly over the last year, the velcro on both straps on the
> > right sandal has ceased to hold. I need to adjust the straps every 4-5
> > miles, and even so the straps sometimes open at very inopportune times.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a solution?
> > They're in great shape other than this problem, so I hate to spend $75
> > on a new pair..

> Go to a cobbler, have him/her stitch on some new velcro.

But before you do, inspect the integrity of the sandal's straps. It's
been my experience that once the adhesiveness of the velcro is that
diminished, failure of the strap itself is not far behind.

Three years? Not bad. The most I've managed is two.

luke

You can get them for a lot less than $75 if you look around - I got a pair
for $30 on Ebay, and this week Nashbar is selling Lake sandals for around
$45, and they practically identical to the Shimanos. BTW I have a pair and I
swear by them too.

..

Gary Smiley wrote:

>>Has anyone else encountered this problem and come up with a solution?
>>They're in great shape other than this problem, so I hate to spend $75
>>on a new pair..

> You can get them for a lot less than $75 if you look around - I got a
> pair for $30 on Ebay, and this week Nashbar is selling Lake sandals
> for around $45, and they practically identical to the Shimanos. BTW I
> have a pair and I swear by them too.

Thanks for the tip on the Lake sandals; for $40 (10% off coupon) I'll
give them a try.

Sam

On 2004-11-06 11:26:00 +1000, Luke <[email protected]> said:
> Three years? Not bad. The most I've managed is two.
>
> luke

The Shimano sandals I purchased in 1998 died a few weeks ago: the
rubber in one heel disintegrated. Great gear, used in all conditions
throughout that period (about 15,000km) and probably my favourite
cycling accessory. I got ribbed for wearing them on road rides
("Bwian" was a favourite), but I didn't really care.

Unfortunately, I don't like the style of the current Shimano sandals.
Does anyone else make good ones in the older style (a bit more like
Tevas)?

Ta.

AndyB

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew
Berry <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Shimano sandals I purchased in 1998 died a few weeks ago: the
> rubber in one heel disintegrated. Great gear, used in all conditions
> throughout that period (about 15,000km) and probably my favourite
> cycling accessory. I got ribbed for wearing them on road rides
> ("Bwian" was a favourite), but I didn't really care.

I empathise. Hoots of derision and rolling eyeballs were the standard
expressions of welcome whenever I pedalled up in my sandals. And when
the temperature fell, a luminescent pair of white socks abetted the
sandals in committing, what was by common consent, the worst fashion
crime my fellow cyclists had ever witnessed! To be a pariah for the
sake of my sandals.

Interestingly, opposition to the sandals eventually ceased as more of
the detractors gave them a go...

> Unfortunately, I don't like the style of the current Shimano sandals.
> Does anyone else make good ones in the older style (a bit more like
> Tevas)?
>
> Ta.
>
> AndyB

Styling considerations notwithstanding, I don't find fault with the
current flavour of Shimano sandals. I just bought a pair 3 months ago
and find them as comfortable as previous incarnations.

What I emphatically discourage you doing is buying the Lake sandals.
(Google this group. I posted a summation of Lake's faults several
months ago). IMO, Shimano makes the superior sandal. And apart from
Shimano and Lake I know of no other brand that manufactures spd
sandals.

Luke

"Luke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:061120042317264039%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andrew
> Berry <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The Shimano sandals I purchased in 1998 died a few weeks ago: the
> > rubber in one heel disintegrated. Great gear, used in all conditions
> > throughout that period (about 15,000km) and probably my favourite
> > cycling accessory. I got ribbed for wearing them on road rides
> > ("Bwian" was a favourite), but I didn't really care.

> I empathise. Hoots of derision and rolling eyeballs were the standard
> expressions of welcome whenever I pedalled up in my sandals. And when
> the temperature fell, a luminescent pair of white socks abetted the
> sandals in committing, what was by common consent, the worst fashion
> crime my fellow cyclists had ever witnessed! To be a pariah for the
> sake of my sandals.
> Luke

My first sandals were SPD biking shoes wit all of the vent areas cutout.
http://www.billcotton.com/Shoes.jpg I thought that 100+ dollars war too much
to pay at the time. I found Shimano in REI for less than 50 dollars about
four years ago. The first winter of uses, here in Philadelphia PA, I return
to my winter shoes of insulated dress boots and toe clips. The next winter I
experience with winterize socks combination, consisting of, coolmax first
layer, Deep Space socks( very thin, embedded with metal) Thin wool sock then
a thick space age wool and fiber combination. The warmth is good to below 20
degree F, but there is no wind protection. I tried neoprene socks I have
over the socks. Now the combination is too large for the Sandals. I have
double sided Velcro http://www.hosfelt.com/ Part number 75-315, that I use
to close the gap. This was great for an hour then sweat accumulated and my
feet got cold. I now use a small plastic bag to cove my toes and I am good
with this four sock combination and the sandal down to 20 degrees F. However
I am look for a wind breaker for my toe area. I am considering cutting the
neoprene so only the toe, heel and the bottom remains unless I come up with
another answer. Presently, in this area, 48 to50 in the morning when I leave
for a ride, I can forgo the toe covering.
Unless I get over sized biking shoes, I can only get one pair of socks on my
feet and the bicycle shoes are vented.
www.billcotton.com
N40° 3.744' W75° 6.180'

I have been using Lake SPD sandals for about five years and I love them. Very
stiff, comfortable footbed, nice velcro closures. I'm not sure what your gripe
is, but I think they're great.

Steve Scarich