Shimano SH-R151 road shoe questions.

High Gear

Oct 6, 2004
I'm interested in the 151's but have no shops around here that carry them in my size. The thing that caught my eye is that they have them in wide width. I've been using Northwaves but need a little more width. Has anyone tried these shoes in the wide width? I read that on the shoe one up from this model (same sole) that the sole was too stiff and caused numbness and pain after a two hours of riding. That may be a pearsonal thing....I don't know. Any feedback would be great:confused:

High Gear said:
I'm interested in the 151's but have no shops around here that carry them in my size. The thing that caught my eye is that they have them in wide width. I've been using Northwaves but need a little more width. Has anyone tried these shoes in the wide width? I read that on the shoe one up from this model (same sole) that the sole was too stiff and caused numbness and pain after a two hours of riding. That may be a pearsonal thing....I don't know. Any feedback would be great:confused:
Had mine 3 months now; no problems with numbness after initial cleat adjustments - although mine are regular width. Certainly light and stiff, comfortable ride, too - 4h training ride yesteday and didn't think about my feet once...

High Gear said:

These shoes are actually wider than other brands in standard width. This is why I like them; most other brands pinch my toes too much. I haven't tried the wide ones, but they must be very wide. I have Fred Flintstone feet and these were they only one that felt comfortable.

Some people don't like them (and the upper Shimano shoes) because they turn up the toes a bit more dramatically than usual. This is probably why some have experienced numbness with them rather than from the hardness of the sole. If you're an "ankler" (or just like to pedal with your heals up more) you may prefer the way they turn up the toes.

You should try them first. Most online sellers (such as Nashbar) allow you to return them.