Shimano shifting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105 or ultegra? TIA Paul

    Tags:

  2. Paul Westall wrote:

    > Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105 or ultegra?

    They'll work OK with a double, but not so well with a triple. There is a special Shimano model for
    this application, the R440.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

    Sheldon "Different Cable Pull" Brown +----------------------------+
    | Lend me ten pounds, | I'll buy you a drink | --Shane McGowan |
    +----------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Paul Westall wrote:
    >
    > > Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105 or ultegra?
    >
    > They'll work OK with a double, but not so well with a triple. There is a special Shimano model for
    > this application, the R440.
    >
    > See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front
    >
    > Sheldon "Different Cable Pull" Brown

    Sheldon, do you have any insight as to why the cable pull is different on the Shimano road and
    MTB fders?

    Enquiring minds want to know,

  4. Paul-<< Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105 or ultegra?

    The answer is a definite maybe..try it.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > Paul-<< Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105 or ultegra?
    >
    > The answer is a definite maybe..try it.

    If not, an old Deore DX front derailer will shift any conceiveable combination of chainrings.

    Matt O.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Will Shimano rapidfire shifters shift a road front derailleur such as 105
    > or
    > > ultegra?
    >
    > On a double, sure. Triples are very difficult where not impossible

    I have 8-speed XT Rapidfire shifters with an older 105 triple on the front of my Lightning
    recumbent. It shifts *OK*... but it occasionally requires an overshift from the granny to the big
    ring and back down to shift to the middle. This is with non-pinned-and-ramped chainrings. Depending
    on your skill and expectations, this may either be "adequate" or "crappy".

    One of these days I'll try the R-443 front derailleur.

    Jeff