Shimano showed a new grouppo, Hone, in Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per Löwdin, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    Tags:

  2. > Afraid the text is in Swedish. Apparently, it is becoming available in November.

    I used intertran to translate. www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran.cgi Pathetic results.

  3. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

  4. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    yeah, that's my guess, too. "DH on a budget"

    dave

    "Joe Yannie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Looks like a freeride version( i.e. cheaper?) of the Saint group, complete with bolt on der. "Per
    > Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Shimano showed a new grouppo, in Copenhagen a couple of days ago.
    > > http://happymtb.org/artiklar/hone2004/ Afraid the text is in Swedish. Apparently, it is becoming
    > > available in November.
    > >
    > > Per http://lowdin.nu

  5. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:53:43 -0600, "onefred" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >yeah, that's my guess, too. "DH on a budget"
    >
    >dave
    >
    >"Joe Yannie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Looks like a freeride version( i.e. cheaper?) of the Saint group, complete with bolt on der. "Per
    >> Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> > Shimano showed a new grouppo, in Copenhagen a couple of days ago.
    >> > http://happymtb.org/artiklar/hone2004/ Afraid the text is in Swedish. Apparently, it is
    >> > becoming available in November.
    >> >
    >> > Per http://lowdin.nu

    I though Saint was already cheap, compared with boutique DH products! But I guess if Saint is the
    XTR of freeride groups, Hone will be the
    XT. Where do they get these names?

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

  6. There is some more news on German bike-sites. For instance www.bike-
    guide.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5475&mode=&order=0&thold=0

    Apparently Hone is a enduro/freeride group bringing saint technology (including hollowtech II crank
    and dual-control) at half the cost.

    The name is derived from 'honing', a downhill term, where you descent a mountain using only the
    rear brake?

    Furthermore saint rear hubs will come in a new flavor, 150mm wide. Also rapidfire is overhauled for
    other groups. I've heard rumors Shimano is bringing dual-control as an option to more groups and
    ultegra will be 10 speed? More news is to follow in coming days.

  7. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There is some more news on German bike-sites. For instance

    www.bike-guide.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5475&mode=&order=0 &thold=0

    > Apparently Hone is a enduro/freeride group bringing saint technology (including hollowtech II
    > crank and dual-control) at half the cost.
    >
    > The name is derived from 'honing', a downhill term, where you descent a mountain using only the
    > rear brake?

    yeah, I see Kinky Cowboy just asked about Shimano's naming... That's interesting, thanks for the
    education.

    BTW, I think "Dura-Ace" is an awesome name for what it is. XTR is sort of unimaginative.

    > Furthermore saint rear hubs will come in a new flavor, 150mm wide. Also rapidfire is overhauled
    > for other groups. I've heard rumors Shimano is bringing dual-control as an option to more groups
    > and ultegra will be 10 speed?

    I've heard the Ultegra rumor from two LBS, but that may be wishful thinking on their part. I doubt
    they are in the know. I wouldn't mind having a 13-27 10s Ultegra cassette for my bike, tho.

    > More news is to follow in coming days.

    Dave

  8. Steve

    Steve Guest