shimano single cassettee cogs??

G.Daniels

Guest
are single cogs available mail order? I'm looking for 36 teeth for a deore LX hub to go with a
Nashbar 7 speed 14-32 The Third Hand catalog lists a 'K' cog for a 600-ex hub application.

[email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> are single cogs available mail order? I'm looking for 36 teeth for a deore LX hub to go with a
> Nashbar 7 speed 14-32 The Third Hand catalog lists a 'K' cog for a 600-ex hub application.

Presumably, you're talking about this cog: http://tinyurl.com/3c6zt Shimano never made a 36 tooth
cog for cassettes. The 34 tooth cog from Third Hand will fit (I have one myself), but the shifting
will be slightly noisier than the Hyperglide-ish cogs on the Nashbar cassette.

AFAIK, Third Hand/Loose Screws are the only people who sell individual cogs mail order.

Jeff

Jeff Wills wrote:

> AFAIK, Third Hand/Loose Screws are the only people who sell individual cogs mail order.

I've got 'em too, http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets

However a certain incomprehensible Floridian MUST use the Web form for orders, because I don't have
time to try to decipher his cryptic emails.

Folks who can actually write intelligible English may also order by email, or by phone.

Sheldon "Sprockets" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. | Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the
| rest of his life. |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

I think 34t is the largest you can get. I've certainly been able to purchase single cogs in the
past, such as a 13t outer and 30t inner to change a 12-27 cassette to a 13-30.

Nick

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> are single cogs available mail order? I'm looking for 36 teeth for a deore LX hub to go with a
> Nashbar 7 speed 14-32 The Third Hand catalog lists a 'K' cog for a 600-ex hub application.

In article <[email protected]>,
Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeff Wills wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, Third Hand/Loose Screws are the only people who sell individual cogs mail order.
>
> I've got 'em too, http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets
>
> However a certain incomprehensible Floridian MUST use the Web form for orders, because I don't
> have time to try to decipher his cryptic emails.

Waitaminit. You're in a Massachusetts bike shop in January; don't you have nothing but time?

Brr,

g.daniels wrote:

> are single cogs available mail order? I'm looking for 36 teeth for a deore LX hub to go with a
> Nashbar 7 speed 14-32 The Third Hand catalog lists a 'K' cog for a 600-ex hub application.

Yes, Gene, the cogs (600 & DOLHX) AFAICT

are identical. Running six or seven spacers & one splined cassette cog,
you get a visually striking version of what you've got now.

I write that here because I haven't been very good at explaining it in my store lately. If you did
nothing but remove/ignore the derailleurs and cut the chain to fit you'd be riding as many speeds
(1) in less time.

The advantage to using a pile of spacers is an easily adjustable chain line, besides the
aesthetic aspect.

The "K" dsignation tells you the pattern of ramps on it. An 18 from a 12~23 has a different ramp
pattern from an 18 in a 12~34

Don't know about mail order cogs, but I bought one from a tandem bike shop about 5 years ago. An old
stock he had laying about. I had a 14-32 7 speed Shimano cassette and replaced the 32 with the 34
cog. Wonderful cassette. Perfect for half step granny gearing when combined with a 48-45-20 triple.
The 20 tooth comes from using the now extinct Avid adaptor. I've never actually needed the 20x34 low
gear but like money and a few other things, its nice to have more than you need. But unless you have
some psychological desire to have the boggest cog, there really isn't any reason to convert a
standard Shimano 7 speed 14-32 cassette you can buy from Nashbar for $25 to a 14-34 cassette. The 32
will be low enough 99.99% of the time. The shift from the 28 to the 34 takes a bit longer then a
shift from 28 to
32.

[email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> are single cogs available mail order? I'm looking for 36 teeth for a deore LX hub to go with a
> Nashbar 7 speed 14-32 The Third Hand catalog lists a 'K' cog for a 600-ex hub application.

AMUZI writes here "cause I haven't been very good at explaining it The advantage to using a pile of
spacers is an easily adjustable chain line, besides the aesthetic aspect."

Care to roughly elaborate on the adjustable chain line concept?? I have nylon spacers. is that good
enough or does one need to track down the exact width. I saw a width list, not too long ago.
expalining??? the 'need' for the 34 sprocket comes with a higher level of tech.right, now that ican
chew gum and walk i'll build my own cassette. comes from rooting for the rovers, i guess. a sprocket
and a cog are not the same. an incomprehesyble routing in the Harris catalog. delightfull. now ichan
climb the intercoastals with a double CR.

g.daniels wrote:

> i guess. a sprocket and a cog are not the same.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary

Sheldon "Yes They Are" Brown +--------------------------------------------+
| All the world's a stage and most of us | are desperately unrehearsed. | --Sean O'Casey |
+--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

g.daniels wrote:
> Care to roughly elaborate on the adjustable chain line concept?? I have nylon spacers. is that
> good enough or does one need to track down the exact width. I saw a width list, not too long ago.
> expalining??? the 'need' for the 34 sprocket comes with a higher level of tech.right, now that
> ican chew gum and walk i'll build my own cassette. comes from rooting for the rovers, i guess. a
> sprocket and a cog are not the same. an incomprehesyble routing in the Harris catalog.
> delightfull. now ichan climb the intercoastals with a double CR.

If you are running a cassette body with only one splined sprocket on it, you can put that sprocket
anywhere you like across the cassette body by moving the spacers around.

Extra spacers may be found in the trash in worn out cassettes.

The added sprocket WHEEL goes anywhere?? The added sprocket WHEEL goes in between the.... and the...
no kidding? bleat bleat. now that does adjust the chainline. ace muzi!!! even for plato!! the
touring setup on the distance between dropouts with extra space goes to adjusting the chainline for
terrain that is hilly or flat downhill or up and the occassional missdish from unforseen
conditions>spoke breakage and the occassional pothole. if yawl can
accept the misalignment of the rear wheel in relation to frame and front wheel. i find it useful
to keep on.

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/online/index.html adds the english backgrounds for sprocket, sprocket
wheel, cog, gear and appurtenances (a cycle computer?)

the 34 is very different from the 32 at 57. The bridges here with a good wind become steep. the 34
goes right over but the 32 is a hassle after a slight hip dislocation.

see the harris gear selection guide for an 8 speed touring setup at two teeth per step(more or less)
and add an alpine CR setup still unborn on our frame.

moving the sprokets around can prolong chain life. there's considerable moanong about chain life so
beyond keeping an eye on wear at the cassette sprockets and chain length one may avoid the worn
sprockets>those in the middle? and or take the cassette apart and then as Ace Muzi suggests move the
worn sprokect to the side. watching the wear here suggests the last 25% in mileage gives a more
rapid wear progression to replacement due to the more than worn central sprockets. doesn't seem to
be enough to remind yourself that avopiding the worn sprockets is a good idea. sooner or later your
busting along in one of them.

"And those who have no mental vigilance, Tough they may hear the teachings, ponder them or meditate,
With minds like water seeping from a leaking jug, Their learning will not settle in their memories."

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I've got 'em too, http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets However a certain
> > incomprehensible Floridian MUST use the Web form for orders, because I don't have time to try to
> > decipher his cryptic emails.

> Waitaminit. You're in a Massachusetts bike shop in January; don't you have nothing but time?

Are you kidding? Right now is when Sheldon's international orders from Australians for custom
cassettes peak, and he has to spend hours dissassembling and reassembling the cogs, because you have
to turn the Hyperglide ramps over to the other side for use in the southern hemisphere. The poor guy
has barely a moment's rest.