shimano sora flightdeck

Jon_H

Guest
I was just wondering is it possible to retro-fit a shimano sora 7 speed
flightdeck levers to a 6 speed rear hub. the front shifter should work as it
is built for a double but will the rear work ok.

cheers
Jon_H

Jon_H wrote:
> I was just wondering is it possible to retro-fit a shimano sora 7 speed
> flightdeck levers to a 6 speed rear hub. the front shifter should work as it
> is built for a double but will the rear work ok.

There's a good chance that it would work using the "alternate cable
routing" shown at: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#indexing

However, it would make more sense to just convert to 7-speed. The
expensive part of this conversion is the shifters, and you're already
going for those.

Assuming you've got an old-style thread-on freewheel rear hub, you can
easily replace the 6-speed freewheel with a 7 speed unit for $20 or so.

You will also need a new chain, but odds are you already need a new chain.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/freewheels

Sheldon "Odd Numbers Are Good" Brown
| Promote the institution of marriage: |
| Make it available to all adults! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> Jon_H wrote:
> > I was just wondering is it possible to retro-fit a shimano sora 7 speed
> > flightdeck levers to a 6 speed rear hub. the front shifter should work

as it
> > is built for a double but will the rear work ok.

> There's a good chance that it would work using the "alternate cable
> routing" shown at: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#indexing
>
> However, it would make more sense to just convert to 7-speed. The
> expensive part of this conversion is the shifters, and you're already
> going for those.
>
> Assuming you've got an old-style thread-on freewheel rear hub, you can
> easily replace the 6-speed freewheel with a 7 speed unit for $20 or so.
>
> You will also need a new chain, but odds are you already need a new

chain.

thanks for the advice but i am waiting for the bike to arrive still so can't
comment on the freewheel but more than likely a screw on, incidentally I
have a six speed freehub on my old falcon would this be as simple to convert
to 7 speed changing onlt the hub and chain.

cheers
Jon_H

Jon_H wrote:

> have a six speed freehub on my old falcon would this be as simple to convert
> to 7 speed changing onlt the hub and chain.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown
| Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog |
| and order on line: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> Assuming you've got an old-style thread-on freewheel rear hub, you can
> easily replace the 6-speed freewheel with a 7 speed unit for $20 or so.
>
> You will also need a new chain, but odds are you already need a new
> chain.
>
> See: http://harriscyclery.com/freewheels
>
> Sheldon "Odd Numbers Are Good" Brown

Just think, someday you'll have a customer who doesn't understand the need
for all those cogs, and you'll be able to look at him as if he just doesn't
get it and say "But this one goes to 11!"

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com