Shimano Sora Upgrade

Sinicide

Nov 18, 2009
I have a 2006 Jamis Ventura Sport and I was looking for a component group upgrade to the Shimano Sora that came with the bike. Can anyone give me some good recommendations for an entry/mid-level upgrade to my group? Thanks.

Sinicide said:
I have a 2006 Jamis Ventura Sport and I was looking for a component group upgrade to the Shimano Sora that came with the bike. Can anyone give me some good recommendations for an entry/mid-level upgrade to my group? Thanks.

Well, first, what problem are you trying to solve? What about Sora don't you like? Weight, function, coffee shop points???

Peter@vecchios said:
Well, first, what problem are you trying to solve? What about Sora don't you like? Weight, function, coffee shop points???

Well, I left my bike in the care of my parents for a year when I went to Iraq, unfortunately they didn't take care of it and both derailuers, the chainring, the chain, and the cassette, all have rust on them, and I'm noticing my shifting is not as responsive as it should be and often it feels as though I miss teeth when I'm pedaling. I figured a full component group upgrade was in order.

Sinicide said:
Well, I left my bike in the care of my parents for a year when I went to Iraq, unfortunately they didn't take care of it and both derailuers, the chainring, the chain, and the cassette, all have rust on them, and I'm noticing my shifting is not as responsive as it should be and often it feels as though I miss teeth when I'm pedaling. I figured a full component group upgrade was in order.

First, if in the military, thank you for your service.

Might just be some cablers/housing/chain, lube, cleaning to make it right again. I doubt anything is broken or worn out. If the chain is way rusty, replace that, have a decent bike shop remove/clean the dricvetrain, OVH bottom bracket..cables and housing and that 'may' make it like new.

Peter@vecchios said:
First, if in the military, thank you for your service.

Might just be some cablers/housing/chain, lube, cleaning to make it right again. I doubt anything is broken or worn out. If the chain is way rusty, replace that, have a decent bike shop remove/clean the dricvetrain, OVH bottom bracket..cables and housing and that 'may' make it like new.

+1, but if you do end up choosing to upgrade I would look into the shimano 105 or the ultegra components.