Shimano Sora vs Ultegra cranksets

Doctor Morbius said:
FC-3303 matched with BB UN73/53/25 - all are square taper

FC-3304 matched with BB ES71/51/30 - all Octalink

FC-3300 matched with BB UN73/53/25 - all are square taper

FC-3301 matched with BB ES71/51/30 - all Octalink

FC-3004 nothing stated on the PDF or web site about this model. This seems to be the Achilles’ heel of the situation. However, according to Shimano's numbering scheme the 3004 would come prior to 3304, which is a current Sora model number. Also, if it were a current model number, then why isn't it listed on Shimano's web site? It's not on the PDF either which leads me to belive it is an outdated model, hence I'm guessing about the square taper but I'd bet dollars to donuts I'm right. ;)

You are right on my screwing up. I apologize. I did a little more digging and Sora and Tiagra are Octalink V2. They went from square taper directly to Octalink V2. V2 uses a larger diameter spindle than Octalink V1 which was phased out a while back. Octalink V1 and V2 are not compatible though. I was at least correct about that.

The new integrated bearing design is not Octalink anything. It is Hollowtech II, which is where I got confused. I'm going to go delete all of my posts now so I don't look like a complete fool. :eek:
Crikey mate, here I am calling you reliable... :eek:

artemidorus said:
Crikey mate, here I am calling you reliable... :eek:
I'm not infallible. Boudreaux practically was! He would have known the answer without having to look it up. I had to check about 4 different resources before admitting I was wrong.

Doctor Morbius said:
I'm not infallible. Boudreaux practically was! He would have known the answer without having to look it up. I had to check about 4 different resources before admitting I was wrong.

I just had a well known Sydny Bike shop put a set of Tiagra 2005 model cranks (Octalink V2) on my Bottom bracket a 105 BB-5500 (Octalink V1)

There was no apparent damage done but when ridden there was immediately obvious play between the BB and the cranks also the cranks sat further uot from the frame increasing the chain line at the cranks

I found Sheldon Brown's web page on Bottom Bracket sizes usefull in determining what they did wrong.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

It would appear that a good number of LBS are not aware of the different Octalink V1 and V2 versions

Doctor Morbius said:

I just had a well known Sydny Bike shop put a set of Tiagra 2005 model cranks (Octalink V2) on my Bottom bracket a 105 BB-5500 (Octalink V1)

There was no apparent damage done but when ridden there was immediately obvious play between the BB and the cranks also the cranks sat further uot from the frame increasing the chain line at the cranks

I found Sheldon Brown's web page on Bottom Bracket sizes usefull in determining what they did wrong.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

It would appear that a good number of LBS are not aware of the different Octalink V1 and V2 versions

mike