Shimano SPD Cleat/Pedal Compatibility

Learner

Guest
Apologies if this has been done before.

I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s? If so, any
problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with 858s?

I have several bikes with a range of SPD pedals dating back over 10
years. All of them seem fine with the SM-SH52 cleats, so I would like
to stick with them if possible.

Cheers,

Mark

"Learner" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
> it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
> a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
> while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
> SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
> pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
> pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
> decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
> 959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

Right, the SH52 cleats only came with the M858 pedals, the first of the new
open-bodied "mud shedding" designs. I can't remember the justification for
the change, or why no other pedal in the range used them.

> The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s?
> If so, any problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with
> 858s?

I've been randomly fitting both styles of cleat to my shoes for about five
or six years without any notable variation in engagement or release. Most
of my pedals are 858s or 515s. I don't have any 959s.

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:
> "Learner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I have just purchased a set of SPD 959 pedals, and in the instructions
>>it states that you MUST only use SM-SH51 or SM-SH56 cleats. Now that's
>>a bit of a blow, as when I previously purchased a set of 858's (quite a
>>while back now), the instructions for those stated that you MUST use
>>SM-SH52 cleats. At that point I changed the cleats on all my shoes (4
>>pairs) to SM-SH52 cleats. When the time came to purchase another set of
>>pedals, to ensure that I didn't have to replace all the cleats again, I
>>decided to go for the 858's again, only to find them replaced by the
>>959s. I assumed (wrongly) that the 959s would use the same cleats.

> Right, the SH52 cleats only came with the M858 pedals, the first of the new
> open-bodied "mud shedding" designs. I can't remember the justification for
> the change, or why no other pedal in the range used them.
>

>>The question is, has anyone tried SM-SH52 cleats with 959s?
>>If so, any problems? Conversely, anyone tried SM-SH51s with
>>858s?

> I've been randomly fitting both styles of cleat to my shoes for about five
> or six years without any notable variation in engagement or release. Most
> of my pedals are 858s or 515s. I don't have any 959s.
>
> James Thomson

Found a table of SPD pedal/cleat compatibility on Sheldon Brown's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html

Unfortunately it's not that up to date, only going as far as M747
pedals, and not mentioning the SH52 cleats.

Looks like the SH51 cleats will be fine with all my pedals, with the
exception of perhaps the 858s, although your comment above suggests that
will be fine too. Only one way to find out I suppose ...

Thanks,

Mark

I have mixed-and-matched with no problems; but have noticed a
difference in 'feel' during disengaging. Some 'kick' you out more than
others. Mix of SH51 / SH55 cleats... Shim. 525 (?), Wellgo and Aldi
pedals.

Suck-it-and-see ?

M.