Shimano SPD cleats

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)? Are
    they all compatible with the various SPD pedals or do some pedals only accept certain cleats?

    Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Robert Strickland wrote:
    > What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)?
    > Are they all compatible with the various SPD pedals or do some pedals only accept certain cleats?
    >
    > Rob Strickland

    It's all about float and release. I don't remember which is which but. One has no float. SH-50???
    One has float. SH-51? One has float and multirelease. SH-55?

    They all fit on all SPD pedals.

    --
    Perre

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)?
    > Are they all compatible with the various SPD pedals or do some pedals only accept certain cleats?

    For pedal/cleat compatibility, see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal

    Some cleats are single release, and some are double release (easier to get out). Float is a function
    of the pedal, not the cleat IIRC.

    Art Harris

  4. The Shimano 50, 51 & 55 are made for standard recessed-mounting shoes (ones you can walk in). The
    '50 has zero float, the '51 (most popular) has moderate float, and the '55 is the multi-release
    version that allows you to get out by twisting your foot in multiple planes (not at once!). For most
    people I consider the '55 to be dangerous, because it can release unexpectedly when people stand up
    to climb etc. Many have no problem, but some definitely do.

    The '52 cleat was made for a specific pedal, the ill-fated 858 if I recall correctly. That
    particular pedal didn't work with the other SPD cleats, but the '52 cleat was backward-compatible
    with the other pedals.

    Then you get into the '70 & '71 cleats, which are used with non-recessed (racing-style) shoes, with
    the '70 being fixed and the '71 having rotational float. These cleats are a bit more expensive and
    easily spotted because they have pontoons coming out from the sides.

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)?
    > Are they all compatible with the various SPD pedals
    or
    > do some pedals only accept certain cleats?
    >
    > Rob Strickland

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)? Are
    >they all compatible with the various SPD pedals or do some pedals only accept certain cleats?

    Multi release and regular. I would avoid multi release since they can release when you are really
    hammering on the pedals.
    -------------
    Alex

  6. Harris wrote:
    > Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> What are the differences between the various grades of Shimano SPD cleats (SH-51, SH-55, etc.)?
    >> Are they all compatible with the various SPD pedals or do some pedals only accept certain cleats?
    >
    > For pedal/cleat compatibility, see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.html#pedal
    >
    > Some cleats are single release, and some are double release (easier to get out). Float is a
    > function of the pedal, not the cleat IIRC.

    Nope. With SPD anyways float is built into the cleat not the pedal.

    --
    Perre

  7. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest