shimano spd m520 pedal clicking

GV2013

Jun 6, 2010
my left pedal clicks right at the end of my downstroke and it is getting really annoying, i cant figure out what is making the noise, has anyone else had this problem with spd pedals? thanks

Noises can be maddening as they often sound like they are comming from somewhere on the bike but in reality it is something else entirely. I was about to throw my bike off a cliff in frustration once, when I realised I hadn't put grease in the headset cups. Problem solved in 2 minutes after months of riding along to click, click, click.... when out of the saddle.

So are you really sure it is the pedal?

If so it could be the pedal/cleat interface and/or no grease on the pedal threads and/or not screwed into the crank tight enough.

If you aren't sure if it is the pedal then it could really be anything. Ask yourself this diagnostic question:

Does it occur when out of the saddle or sitting on the saddle?

If it occurs when out of the saddle or when either in or out of the saddle then it could be:

-BB (tight enough and grease on threads)
-Crank bolts (if any) (tight enough and grease on bolt shoulders and threads)
-Pedal threads (tight enough and grease on threads)
-Pedal/shoe/cleat interface (perhaps a little oil/grease on matng surfaces - but it can often go away on it's own)

These are the main culprits but after them there are also:

-Chainrings or chainring bolts (tight enough and some grease on the spider tabs MAY be needed - but not if the cranks are carbon)
-Stem/handlebar clamp (tight enough - usually no grease needed)
-Stem/steerer clamp (tight enough - usually no grease needed)
-Headset (binder is tight - but not too tight - may need grease on bearings)
-Dropouts (make sure the quick-releases are tight enough)

If it occurs when seated only, then suspect the saddle, saddle clamp or seatpost clamp.

Hope this helps

sorry! your question is very short but this is not so big problem, if your pedals are not working properly you can change the main chain belt and then you can try it, i think this problem will be silved

+1 on tafi's response above. One other little thing that's easy to check--is there anything loose in your saddle bag? Like two air cartridges whacking against each other?

I know it is definitely coming from the left pedal since I can feel it a bit on the ball of my foot every time my foot comes around. I took the pedals out and lubed them up a bit and tightened everything up. Gonna go for a ride later, hopefully it will be better.

GV2013 said:
I took the pedals out and lubed them up a bit and tightened everything up.

Good starting point. I'll bet $1000 of Monopoly money this will stop the clicking.

Hi - I had the dreaded click too. Absolutely infuriating!! Try swapping the pedals. I bet the bearing in one is worn and making the clicking noise. My Shimano 105s were about 10 months old but had probably done 1-2 thousand miles. Plus I crashed on the off side once which didn't do the right one any good. After fitting a new chain link and swapping the bottom bracket cassette without any joy I read on forums that the pedals may need re-greasing. This needs a special tool, so I just swapped the pedals for the old 105s I got with the bike. Hey presto! No click. Go ahead, borrow a pair first if you like but I bet this is the fault.

Had this same problem and thanks to the wonders of the internet I was directed here. Taking off the pedal and greasing the threads solved it, thanks Tafi!

Hi,
I also had the same problem on both pedals and I solve it by putting two wraps of teflon tape on cranks screw thread.