Shimano SPD Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jake Barnes, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
    pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So, I
    bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I can
    get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal-- especially
    in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked into the
    pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my feet out of
    the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I would pop right
    out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any consistent motion to pop my
    foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any adjustments that I can make to
    pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

    Jake

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote:
    > I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
    > pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
    > I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
    > can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
    > especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
    > into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
    > feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
    > would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
    > consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
    > adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

    How old are the pedals that you bought? What cleats are you using? Are they Shimano? Your problem
    sounds like you're using the wrong cleats with the pedals. Alternatively, either the cleats or the
    pedals may be worn.

    Bear in mind that you don't want your feet to be locked in tightly to the pedals as this can cause
    knee problems. Pedals have a degree of float which prevents you doing too much damage.

  3. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
    > pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
    > I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
    > can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
    > especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
    > into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
    > feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
    > would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
    > consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
    > adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

    Sounds like the cleat on the right could be loose enough to move a little bit in the shoe. Or the
    pedals could be damaged. There isn't any Shimano pedal where you could move around "a lot" without
    clipping out, unless something is wrong.

    You can adjust release tension, but there is no adjustment for float (the amount that the cleat can
    pivot without releasing). Your two pedals should have roughly the same float. If one allows more
    float, you got bad mojo.

    What version of SPD are these, and how beat up are they?
    --
    Tom Purvis Salida, CO

  4. Phil Lee

    Phil Lee Guest

    Oil up the surface of those pedals. Wait, don't oil. Wax it. Use lard.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I
    used
    > to ride Shimano SPD pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of
    > them very easy. So, I bought a pair of used
    Shimano
    > SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I can get
    in
    > fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal-- especially in
    > my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked into the
    > pedal. Is this normal, and can it
    be
    > adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I
    > flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at
    > all, and there does not seem to be any consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a
    > problem with this, and are there any adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks
    > for any advice.
    >
    > Jake

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
    > pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
    > I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
    > can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
    > especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
    > into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
    > feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
    > would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
    > consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
    > adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > Jake

    Are you using worn cleats? If so, spring for a new set.

    /s