Shimano SPD Pedal Question

Jake Barnes

Guest
I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So, I
bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I can
get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal-- especially
in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked into the
pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my feet out of
the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I would pop right
out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any consistent motion to pop my
foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any adjustments that I can make to
pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

Jake

Jake Barnes wrote:
> I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
> pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
> I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
> can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
> especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
> into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
> feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
> would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
> consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
> adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

How old are the pedals that you bought? What cleats are you using? Are they Shimano? Your problem
sounds like you're using the wrong cleats with the pedals. Alternatively, either the cleats or the
pedals may be worn.

Bear in mind that you don't want your feet to be locked in tightly to the pedals as this can cause
knee problems. Pedals have a degree of float which prevents you doing too much damage.

"Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
> pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
> I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
> can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
> especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
> into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
> feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
> would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
> consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
> adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like the cleat on the right could be loose enough to move a little bit in the shoe. Or the
pedals could be damaged. There isn't any Shimano pedal where you could move around "a lot" without
clipping out, unless something is wrong.

You can adjust release tension, but there is no adjustment for float (the amount that the cleat can
pivot without releasing). Your two pedals should have roughly the same float. If one allows more
float, you got bad mojo.

What version of SPD are these, and how beat up are they?
--
Tom Purvis Salida, CO

Oil up the surface of those pedals. Wait, don't oil. Wax it. Use lard.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I
used
> to ride Shimano SPD pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of
> them very easy. So, I bought a pair of used
Shimano
> SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I can get
in
> fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal-- especially in
> my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked into the
> pedal. Is this normal, and can it
be
> adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I
> flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at
> all, and there does not seem to be any consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a
> problem with this, and are there any adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks
> for any advice.
>
> Jake

"Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I just started riding again, after being out of it for 5 years or so. I used to ride Shimano SPD
> pedals, and I had no problems. From what I remember, I could get in and out of them very easy. So,
> I bought a pair of used Shimano SPD pedals for my new bike, and I am having problems with them. I
> can get in fairly easy, but once I am in, I feel like I have too much "travel" in the pedal--
> especially in my right foot. By travel I mean the my shoe can move around a lot once it is locked
> into the pedal. Is this normal, and can it be adjusted? Also, I am having difficulty getting my
> feet out of the pedals. From what I remember, I flicked my ankle outward on my old pedals, and I
> would pop right out. This doesn't seem to work at all, and there does not seem to be any
> consistent motion to pop my foot out. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and are there any
> adjustments that I can make to pedals to correct this. Thanks for any advice.
>
> Jake

Are you using worn cleats? If so, spring for a new set.

/s