Shimano SPD SL 105 R540 Pedals

jbkalla

Nov 18, 2003
Anybody got any comments on the new Shimano SPD SL pedals? Pros and cons? I'm not rich, so I'm looking at the 105's, but I might be able to afford the Ultegras cuz the non-metal 105's worry me...

PS... Right now I'm running Shimano 959 (spd) pedals, which I like a lot, but am looking for more stiffness.

Originally posted by jbkalla

PS... Right now I'm running Shimano 959 (spd) pedals, which I like a lot, but am looking for more stiffness.
Isn't that primarily in the shoes.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Isn't that primarily in the shoes.

Yah, I assume so, but aren't spd shoes generally less-stiff? Also, what ARE the pros of buying a road-only pedal (and the corresponding shoe)?

what are the pros of buying a road specific bike?

its designed for the road, i guess that means theres no bulky sole and all the rest of it

The SPD-SL bolt pattern is a wide, three bolt triangle, with an even wider cleat that protrudes outside the sole of most road shoes (though the part of the cleat that locks in is within the shoe sole area). The SPD has a very narrow two bolt pattern,as you know. After using SPDs for years, using the SPD-SL feels like sleeping in a king size bed after years in a twin bed. There is a big difference.

I would go for the R600. The PD7750 or 7800 isn't worth the additional bucks. I have both and can't tell the diff in use. I wouldn't buy a plastic pedal, no matter who made it.

Originally posted by Eidetic
The SPD-SL bolt pattern is a wide, three bolt triangle, with an even wider cleat that protrudes outside the sole of most road shoes (though the part of the cleat that locks in is within the shoe sole area). The SPD has a very narrow two bolt pattern,as you know. After using SPDs for years, using the SPD-SL feels like sleeping in a king size bed after years in a twin bed. There is a big difference.

I would go for the R600. The PD7750 or 7800 isn't worth the additional bucks. I have both and can't tell the diff in use. I wouldn't buy a plastic pedal, no matter who made it.

Thanks. That's kindof the way I was thinking, too. It makes me nervous using a plastic pedal. I'm not sure what shimano was thinking doing that... Their 105 stuff is usually the way to go.

Here's another question I have in that vein: Speedplay Zero pedals are well-liked, but I would think that such a small pedal would cause a "hot-spot" on your feet. Or do stiff road shoes cause pedal size to be immaterial because of how solid the shoe is? I'm wondering this in case the SPD-SL's cause my knees to hurt through lack of float.

I hope that last wasn't too confusing! Thanks all for the great responses!

more expensive is not always better but too cheap is usually a mistake . In this case try and splash for the ultegra .
MTB shoes ( spd etc ) have some flexibility because people have to be able to run ( or walk ) around some hazards .

Originally posted by jbkalla

Here's another question I have in that vein: Speedplay Zero pedals are well-liked, but I would think that such a small pedal would cause a "hot-spot" on your feet. Or do stiff road shoes cause pedal size to be immaterial because of how solid the shoe is? I'm wondering this in case the SPD-SL's cause my knees to hurt through lack of float.

I have usually found that if you hae an extremely stiff sole with absolutely no float, it doesn't make much difference, but there is always the psychological effect of "knowing" the size of the contact area. Now with float, which I need, the feel can be very different even with a rigid shoe sole.
My understanding is that with the SPD-SL's float is determined by whether the SM-SH10 or SM-SH11 cleat is used with the former being fixed.
I have ridden SPD's for years. It would seem to be me that the SPD-SL's may have easier entry, which has always been my beef with the standard SPD's (I hate looking like a wobbling idiot when takin off from a stoplight...ego you know). Is this the case?

I don't know about Speedplay Zero, but I rode Speedplay Frogs for years on my Dean, and still ride them on touring bikes that I ride overseas (one pair of shoes has to do it all, walk, hike, and bike). I switched to SPD-SLs because after 40+ years of riding, I got hotspots for the first time, and it wasn't pleasant. I changed to Lake Wide shoes and the -SLs, and no more hotspots. I think the hot spots arose after my former shoes shrunk after being soaked in a downpour, combined with the narrow contact area of the Frogs. So .... my formula to avoid hotspots is more in having a shoe with adequate "toe box", and secondarily, a shoe with wide contact area and stiff sole.

Yes, the -SLs are much easier to engage the pedal than standard SPDs. I use the float cleat, not the bulbous no-float cleat. I'm a rec rider, so I want all the float I can get ... spoiled by the Speedplays.

hi have been ridden the SPDs for a while, but wasn`t satisfied with it (knee problems). I`d liked the idea of having a "normal" padel for normal street shoes on the one and a bikeshoe side on the other, but it was lousy, cause, you always have to find the right side. Now, I have the SPD-SL and they are fine. You can adjust the float a bit, but no float is also ok (no kneeprobs, but can be the angle, so this is not an argument). But getting into the paddel is perfekt, they are always in the right position. So, go for it, its nice