shimano SPD-SL (Ultegra, DucaAce) pedals, cleats - the bolts are too short for my under-cleat shims

RoadCyclist

Guest
greetings all

I ride on Ultegra pedals (PD-R600) SPD-SL and Shimano R151 carbon sole
shoes.

Due to my 5-7 mm leg length discrepancy I need to shim my shorter right leg
(under the cleat) by ~3-4 mm to compensate. The problem is that standard
Allen-key-head bolts supplied by Shimano cleats (floating, yellow tabs) are
much too short. Where in Melbourne can I buy bolts like Shimano supplies but
3-5 mm longer? I wanted the same Allen key head (4mm?) so I do not have to
carry a special screw driver for the ordinary bolts I am using right now.
John Kennedy did not have any and neither did my local hardware store. Any
place in the city perhaps? Or another cycling store in Melbourne?

thanks in advance and stay upright

Maybe try Keebles in A'becket st in the city between Eliz and Queen I think?
They might have what you are after with there thousands of screws etc.

news:[email protected]...

chad wrote:
> Maybe try Keebles in A'becket st in the city between Eliz and Queen I think?
> They might have what you are after with there thousands of screws etc.
>

> "RoadCyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>greetings all
>>
>>I ride on Ultegra pedals (PD-R600) SPD-SL and Shimano R151 carbon sole
>>shoes.
>>
>>Due to my 5-7 mm leg length discrepancy I need to shim my shorter right

> leg
>
>>(under the cleat) by ~3-4 mm to compensate. The problem is that standard
>>Allen-key-head bolts supplied by Shimano cleats (floating, yellow tabs)

> are
>
>>much too short. Where in Melbourne can I buy bolts like Shimano supplies

> but
>
>>3-5 mm longer? I wanted the same Allen key head (4mm?) so I do not have to
>>carry a special screw driver for the ordinary bolts I am using right now.
>>John Kennedy did not have any and neither did my local hardware store. Any
>>place in the city perhaps? Or another cycling store in Melbourne?
>>
>>thanks in advance and stay upright

The bolt bloke. Look em up in the yellow pages. The key is to think
outside the box . You dont want a shimano part, you want a bolt with a
particular thread, length and head/

Dave

Try Abbotsford Cycles, the shop is at Richmond Station on Swan Street. Numerous times I've gone there and 'rummaged' through stuff trying to find obscure (read: old) components. Peter Moore is fantastic, he's extremely helpful and resourceful. And if he hasn't got what you require in stock, he will try to order it for you. Hope this helps. ;)

On 2006-06-11, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

> Try Abbotsford Cycles, the shop is at Richmond Station on Swan Street.
> Numerous times I've gone there and 'rummaged' through stuff trying to
> find obscure (read: old) components. Peter Moore is fantastic, he's
> extremely helpful and resourceful. And if he hasn't got what you
> require in stock, he will try to order it for you. Hope this helps. ;)

And not just Peter -- I saw Simon's solution the other day on his new
bike. He had about a cm of bone taken out from his leg from a
collision, and has a block of wood somehow attached to the floor of
his clipful[1] pedals.

[1] What's the opposite of clipless pedals?

--
TimC
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically

> I ride on Ultegra pedals (PD-R600) SPD-SL and Shimano R151 carbon sole
> shoes.
>
> Due to my 5-7 mm leg length discrepancy I need to shim my shorter right
> leg (under the cleat) by ~3-4 mm to compensate. The problem is that
> standard Allen-key-head bolts supplied by Shimano cleats (floating, yellow
> tabs) are much too short. Where in Melbourne can I buy bolts like Shimano
> supplies but 3-5 mm longer? I wanted the same Allen key head (4mm?) so I
> do not have to carry a special screw driver for the ordinary bolts I am
> using right now. John Kennedy did not have any and neither did my local
> hardware store. Any place in the city perhaps? Or another cycling store in
> Melbourne?
>
> thanks in advance and stay upright

A long bolt kit is actually available standard from Shimano.
They are needed for Carnac shoes and the like that have more bolt depth than
standard issue bolts.

About $6.95 a set at any LBS.
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=3600

Kerry

thanks all.

My LBS did not have the Shimano long bolts so I will give the other places a
go.

stay upright