Shimano SPD-SL's '03 vs. '04

dstri

Apr 23, 2003
Anyone know what the differences are between the '03 SPD-SL's (PD-7750) and the new '04 ones (PD-7800). Can't find any useful information on the Shimano site..

thanks
dave

Originally posted by dstri
Anyone know what the differences are between the '03 SPD-SL's (PD-7750) and the new '04 ones (PD-7800). Can't find any useful information on the Shimano site..

thanks
dave

In a stroke of weird timing I ordered a set of SPD-SL 7750's from performancebike.com recently along with some other items... when the order arrived it was minus the pedals, a note on the receipt saying they were backordered... When they arrived they were the new 7800's, and I thought "excellent, that was worth waiting a few weeks to get the newer model"

I took them down to my LBS just to see what the difference was between them and the 7750's and having them both on the counter side by side I (and the bike mechanic who was helping me) saw absolutely no visible difference, save maybe a very slight difference in how the adjustment arrows (+/-) symbols for release tension were silkscreened on the back...

We didn't weigh them but from casual observations there was no appreciable difference... If there are differences they must involve design changes internally, or material/weight reduction that is miniscule... THe only thing the bike mech and I could come up with is that they are designated 7800 so that people will know they are SPD-SL pedals manufactured in 04 as opposed to 03, kind of like VIN numbers for pedals *laughing* Maybe a more plausible answer it that the pedals are exactly the same, and Shimano merely changed the model number so everyone would think they are making continual improvements and changes to their designs... :)

Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer...

Feanor

Don't know about the difference in these two models in particular, but Shimano generally does not change model numbers from year to year unless there is an appreciable design or compatibility change.