Shimano SPD

hskip11

Apr 15, 2010
I have a shimano spd 520 pedal and it is making a clicking noise (much like one that a bottom bracket would make). Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do?
Please help the clicking is driving me mad:mad:

hskip11 said:
I have a shimano spd 520 pedal and it is making a clicking noise (much like one that a bottom bracket would make). Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do?
Please help the clicking is driving me mad:mad:

check your cleats; make sure they are tight...

The cleats are tight, but the pedals are not new they have probably more than 2000 miles on them.

hskip11 said:
The cleats are tight, but the pedals are not new they have probably more than 2000 miles on them.

if it's not the cleats, then I'd remove the pedals, clean the threads, grease threads and re-install. if that doesn't work, it could be the pedal bearings. Check Park Tools web site for pedal overhaul or shimano tech docs

Agreed, threads with no grease are a prime suspect.

Are you sure the pedals are the source of this noise? Not that they couldn't be but rule out any other possibilities. After 2000 miles they may require some greasing but that is not that much for them to need overhaulin!
I've had similar noises and eventhough my first suspects were the pedals it ended being a loose saddle.
Can you hear the noise when your standing on the pedals going up a hill?

Solanog said:
Are you sure the pedals are the source of this noise? Not that they couldn't be but rule out any other possibilities. After 2000 miles they may require some greasing but that is not that much for them to need overhaulin!
I've had similar noises and eventhough my first suspects were the pedals it ended being a loose saddle.
Can you hear the noise when your standing on the pedals going up a hill?
True. Identiy the source, which can be hard. I remember spending lots of time trying to find the source of a squeak.... only to find ... it was was sunglasses rubbing on my helmet! :eek:

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I found the noise and it was indeed the pedals. They needed a little greasing and now they run like new again:D
My sanity on long rides has been saved

rparedes said:
True. Identiy the source, which can be hard. I remember spending lots of time trying to find the source of a squeak.... only to find ... it was was sunglasses rubbing on my helmet! :eek:

Now I remembered once I had a very strange noise, something like ratcheting sound. I stopped and checked wheels and everything once and many times and was not able to find the source of the noise. After checking EVERYTHING in the bike and after various rides being worried about the bike coming appart all of a sudden I discovered a loose decal in the helmet, it was like waving with the wind and hitting the helmet. Very annoying and scary since I thought it came from the bike, the wheels whatever but the helmet!

Good that you could resolve your problem.