Shimano SPD

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Belbin, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?

    --
    Regards David.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:41:52 +0100, David Belbin did issue forth:

    > Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?

    If by road you mean SPD-R, then the answer is no. They're about as different as it's possible to be.

  3. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:50:26 +0100, "Huw Pritchard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:41:52 +0100, David Belbin did issue forth:
    >
    >> Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?
    >
    >If by road you mean SPD-R, then the answer is no. They're about as different as it's
    >possible to be.

    However they used to be the same... and if you have old road SPD (not SPD-R) pedals (like me) then
    you can certainly still use the new MTB cleats...

  4. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    >However they used to be the same... <
    This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular. Possibly
    up to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    cleat, but I did not feel release was good on first test. Loosen tension and try again?

    Regards David.

    "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:50:26 +0100, "Huw Pritchard"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:41:52 +0100, David Belbin did issue forth:
    > >
    > >> Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?
    > >
    > >If by road you mean SPD-R, then the answer is no. They're about as different as it's
    > >possible to be.
    >

    > However they used to be the same... and if you have old road SPD (not SPD-R) pedals (like me) then
    > you can certainly still use the new MTB cleats...

  5. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:08:02 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>However they used to be the same... <
    >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular. Possibly
    >up to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on first test. Loosen tension and try again?
    >
    >Regards David.

    Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
    they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

  6. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    Thanks all David. "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:08:02 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >>However they used to be the same... <
    > >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
    > >Possibly
    up
    > >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    > >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
    first
    > >test. Loosen tension and try again?
    > >
    > >Regards David.
    >

    > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
    > they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

  7. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    Pedal and cleat compatibility chart on Shimano website at URL:
    http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_pedals/size_chart/index.asp might help David Ornee, Western
    Springs, IL

    "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks all David. "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
    Possibly
    > up
    > > >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    > > >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
    > first
    > > >test. Loosen tension and try again?
    > > >
    > > >Regards David.
    > >

    > > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
    > > they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

  8. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    >Those sound like my pedals...<
    You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.

    "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:08:02 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >>However they used to be the same... <
    > >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
    > >Possibly
    up
    > >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    > >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
    first
    > >test. Loosen tension and try again?
    > >
    > >Regards David.
    >

    > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
    > they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

  9. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:52:42 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Those sound like my pedals...<
    >You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
    Sorry no... they were the first edition of the Dura-ace SPD pedals.. I've used them with single and
    multi-release cleats ... currently using cleats that were new MTB multi-release cleats last year...

  10. David Belbin

    David Belbin Guest

    > >Those sound like my pedals...<
    > You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
    >
    > "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
    Possibly
    > up
    > > >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
    > > >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
    > first
    > > >test. Loosen tension and try again?
    > > >
    > > >Regards David.
    > >

    > > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
    > > they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

  11. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    David Belbin wrote:

    > :...
    > > >Those sound like my pedals...<
    > > You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
    > >
    > > "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > Possibly
    > > up
    > > first

    > > > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try...
    > > > FWIW they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

    The old DA SPD pedals use different cleats. They look like de MTB ones but are definitely different.
    I can look up the ref. of the DA and MTB cleats. Wait till a get home.

    Lou

  12. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > David Belbin wrote:
    > >
    > > :...
    > > > You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
    > > >
    > > > "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > Possibly
    > > > up
    on
    > > > first

    > The old DA SPD pedals use different cleats. They look like de MTB ones but are definitely
    > different. I can look up the ref. of the DA and MTB cleats. Wait till a get home.
    >
    > Lou

    DA SPD pedals: cleats SM-SH71 MTB SPD pedals: cleats SM-SH51

    Lou