Shimano SPD

David Belbin

Guest
Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?

--
Regards David.

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:41:52 +0100, David Belbin did issue forth:

> Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?

If by road you mean SPD-R, then the answer is no. They're about as different as it's possible to be.

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:50:26 +0100, "Huw Pritchard"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:41:52 +0100, David Belbin did issue forth:
>
>> Are the shoe cleats for Shimano SPD - Road and MTB identical?
>
>If by road you mean SPD-R, then the answer is no. They're about as different as it's
>possible to be.

However they used to be the same... and if you have old road SPD (not SPD-R) pedals (like me) then
you can certainly still use the new MTB cleats...

>However they used to be the same... <
This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular. Possibly
up to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
cleat, but I did not feel release was good on first test. Loosen tension and try again?

Regards David.

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:08:02 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>However they used to be the same... <
>This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular. Possibly
>up to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
>cleat, but I did not feel release was good on first test. Loosen tension and try again?
>
>Regards David.

Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

Thanks all David. "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:08:02 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >>However they used to be the same... <
> >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
> >Possibly
up
> >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
> >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
first
> >test. Loosen tension and try again?
> >
> >Regards David.
>

> Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
> they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

Pedal and cleat compatibility chart on Shimano website at URL:
http://bike.shimano.com/footwear_pedals/size_chart/index.asp might help David Ornee, Western
Springs, IL

"David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks all David. "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > >This might be the answer. The pedals are Dura -ace, neat, highly polished and triangular.
Possibly
> up
> > >to ten year old. Don't look like current Dura -ace on Shimano web site. They looked like my MTB
> > >cleat, but I did not feel release was good on
> first
> > >test. Loosen tension and try again?
> > >
> > >Regards David.
> >

> > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try... FWIW
> > they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

>Those sound like my pedals...<
You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:52:42 +0100, "David Belbin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Those sound like my pedals...<
>You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
Sorry no... they were the first edition of the Dura-ace SPD pedals.. I've used them with single and
multi-release cleats ... currently using cleats that were new MTB multi-release cleats last year...

David Belbin wrote:

> :...
> > >Those sound like my pedals...<
> > You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
> >
> > "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> Possibly
> > up
> > first

> > > Those sound like my pedals...(bought new in '94) I would back off the tension and re-try...
> > > FWIW they never released as easily as the MTB pedals..

The old DA SPD pedals use different cleats. They look like de MTB ones but are definitely different.
I can look up the ref. of the DA and MTB cleats. Wait till a get home.

Lou

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> David Belbin wrote:
> >
> > :...
> > > You wouldn't know the part ref./model no.? Regards David.
> > >
> > > "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > Possibly
> > > up
on
> > > first

> The old DA SPD pedals use different cleats. They look like de MTB ones but are definitely
> different. I can look up the ref. of the DA and MTB cleats. Wait till a get home.
>
> Lou

DA SPD pedals: cleats SM-SH71 MTB SPD pedals: cleats SM-SH51

Lou