Shimano - specs, info on older components?

DMF

Oct 3, 2003
I went to the Shimano web site looking for specs on a WH-R540 wheelset - all of about 2 years old - and there's nothing there. It appears that there are no non-current products even mentioned on the site.

Is there a source for product or tech info on older Shimano components?

George, thanks for the pointer! For others looking for recent years, this link takes you to the summary page for all components, by year. Or get there via Customer Service.Service Diagrams. Only back to 2003, sorry.

As a matter of interest, what support is available for pre-2003 components?

Now, for getting the correct diagrams for the Ultegra components on this bike, how do I determine exactly what I have? It is 9-speed, double. Built in 2005, I suspect using 2004 components. Are there markings on key assembly elements that uniquely identify them?

I recently needed the service diagram and parts list for a FH-6402 Ultegra Hub. Shimano faxed it to me, the date on the page was Jan 1992. :) Later, they supplied the cones and freehub body! :D

While we're on the topic, does anyone know where to find info/schematics on Shimano's ancient stuff like the Exage or the 600 series?

How about assembly instructions and torque specs?

How (or does) Shimano supply those?

gclark8 said:
I recently needed the service diagram and parts list for a FH-6402 Ultegra Hub. Shimano faxed it to me, the date on the page was Jan 1992. :) Later, they supplied the cones and freehub body! :D
That's great, but Shimano North America has no Customer Support contact, so who would I talk to?

Btw, Shimano Oz is going the same way. The Customer Support link above still works, but there's no way to get to it from the primary web site. I wonder how long it will stay up?
:(

If you need to identify parts, this is The listing:

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/

it's in German, but it's easy to find which one takes you to the various year groupsets and components.

As for Shimano tech info, I've found the Shimano Europe site to be the best stocked with that sort of stuff.