shimano splined BB - removing cranks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul D, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Paul D

    Paul D Guest

    First time I've tried to get at a splined BB. The hex bolts on both sides
    turn 3/4 turn counter clockwise then tighten up again. Surely this isn't
    right? Don't want to try brute force in case I'm doing something wrong
    (thinking back to my Trying To Remove A Pedal The Wrong Way experience -
    duh!) but i thought they should come out pretty easy once they were moving.
    Don't know how long since the last time they were removed - I've had the
    bike since May when I bought it 2nd hand, although it's been off the road
    since October, and it's a 2002 bike.

    ????

    Tags:

  2. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:59:21 -0000, "Paul D"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >First time I've tried to get at a splined BB. The hex bolts on both sides
    >turn 3/4 turn counter clockwise then tighten up again. Surely this isn't
    >right? Don't want to try brute force in case I'm doing something wrong

    No, that's normal behavior. I had exactly the same worry as you the
    first time I encountered one of these.

    What's happening is the main hex bolt that tightens and holds the
    crank arms onto the spindle is beginning to bite against the removing
    bolt/doobrey. That's the second circular threaded washer/cap that you
    can see outside the main bolt (the one that is installed with a pin
    spanner). This is how the single key removing method works.

    You can safely apply pressure. It will need a fair bit of torque
    because you need to pull the crank arm off the BB spindle.

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "More oneness, less categories,
    Open hearts, no strategies"

  3. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:07:22 GMT, Call me Bob
    <[email protected]omanypenguins.co.uk> wrote:

    >What's happening is the main hex bolt that tightens and holds the
    >crank arms onto the spindle is beginning to bite against the removing
    >bolt/doobrey. That's the second circular threaded washer/cap that you
    >can see outside the main bolt (the one that is installed with a pin
    >spanner). This is how the single key removing method works.
    >
    >You can safely apply pressure. It will need a fair bit of torque
    >because you need to pull the crank arm off the BB spindle.

    If you are still slightly nervous, you can download a service .pdf
    from the Shimano website which shows the bolt and cap arrangement, and
    confirms that all is as it should be:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/16T0B.pdf

    --

    Call me "Bob"

    "More oneness, less categories,
    Open hearts, no strategies"

  4. Paul D

    Paul D Guest

    No nervousness, always happy to apply brute force - I've a name for
    stripping threads by tightening them too much. Did what you said & the job's
    done. So, ta!

    news:[email protected]