Shimano ST-5510 Levers

Djpluv

Guest
Hi - I have a Cannondale R600 with the Shimano ST-5510 levers. I recently purchased a Flight Deck
computer and wire harness. I always work on my mountain bike so I thought I'd give this one a shot
and install the computer myself. I got the fact that I'll need to unwrap and then re-wrap the bar,
but I am abit confused on actually getting the buttons installed on the levers.

The instructions on Shimano's website show the lever hood lifting off; however, the hood on mine
wrap around and are one piece. How do I get the lever hood off in order to install the remote
buttons for the computer? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am new at working on a
road bike.

Thanks,

Paul

"dJpluV" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi - I have a Cannondale R600 with the Shimano ST-5510 levers. I recently purchased a Flight Deck
> computer and wire harness. I always work on my mountain bike so I thought I'd give this one a shot
> and install the computer myself. I got the fact that I'll need to unwrap and then re-wrap the bar,
> but I am abit confused on actually getting the buttons installed on the levers.
>
> The instructions on Shimano's website show the lever hood lifting off; however, the hood on mine
> wrap around and are one piece. How do I get the lever hood off in order to install the remote
> buttons for the computer? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am new at working on a
> road bike.

Peel the rubber hood back over itself starting at the handlebar side. When you get it about 40%
overlapped it will stay of its own accord, leaving only a small bit of the Flite Deck panel
occluded. Easy does it with the screws that hold the Flite Deck connectors to the shifter. They
are easily overtightened, which rips out the threads in the lever. (Please don't ask me how I
know that.)

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "dJpluV" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi - I have a Cannondale R600 with the Shimano ST-5510 levers. I recently purchased a Flight
> > Deck computer and wire harness. I always work on my mountain bike so I thought I'd give this one
> > a shot and install the computer myself. I got the fact that I'll need to unwrap and then re-wrap
> > the bar, but I am abit confused on actually getting the buttons installed on the levers.
> >
> > The instructions on Shimano's website show the lever hood lifting off; however, the hood on mine
> > wrap around and are one piece. How do I get the lever hood off in order to install the remote
> > buttons for the computer? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am new at working on a
> > road bike.
>
> Peel the rubber hood back over itself starting at the handlebar side. When you get it about 40%
> overlapped it will stay of its own accord, leaving only a small bit of the Flite Deck panel
> occluded. Easy does it with the screws that hold the Flite Deck connectors to the shifter. They
> are easily overtightened, which rips out the threads in the lever. (Please don't ask me how I
> know that.)

Thanks...worked great and got them installed!

One other question. The flight deck computer seems to work, as well as the buttons on the levers;
however, the little icons that represent the chainring and rear cogs don't seem to work. They never
change and don't display the chainring/cog combination I am running. Shimano's FAQ states that the
ST-5500 work, but with limited functionality (not very detailed). I am using the 5510...I can't find
anything on Shimano's site about chainring/cog display not working with my levers. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Paul

> > "dJpluV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi - I have a Cannondale R600 with the Shimano ST-5510 levers. I recently purchased a Flight
> > > Deck computer and wire harness. I always work on my mountain bike so I thought I'd give this
> > > one a shot and install the computer myself. I got the fact that I'll need to unwrap and then
> > > re-wrap the bar, but I am abit confused on actually getting the buttons installed on the
> > > levers.
> > >
> > > The instructions on Shimano's website show the lever hood lifting off; however, the hood on
> > > mine wrap around and are one piece. How do I get the lever hood off in order to install the
> > > remote buttons for the computer? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am new at
> > > working on a road bike.

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Peel the rubber hood back over itself starting at the handlebar side.
When
> > you get it about 40% overlapped it will stay of its own accord, leaving
only
> > a small bit of the Flite Deck panel occluded. Easy does it with the
screws
> > that hold the Flite Deck connectors to the shifter. They are easily overtightened, which rips
> > out the threads in the lever. (Please don't
ask me
> > how I know that.)

"dJpluV" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks...worked great and got them installed! One other question. The flight deck computer seems
> to work, as well as the buttons on the levers; however, the little icons that represent the
> chainring and rear cogs don't seem to work. They never change and don't display the chainring/cog
> combination I am running. Shimano's FAQ states that the ST-5500 work, but with limited
> functionality (not very detailed). I am using the 5510...I can't find anything on Shimano's site
> about chainring/cog display not working with my levers.

We have had a very high return rate on both levers and wiring kits. To know which you'll need to
substitute either a lever or a wiring kit that's known to be good. The heads have been uniformly
good so far.