shimano STI lever upgrade 8 to 10 speed

Rik O'Shea

Guest
I want to upgrade from 8 speed 105 STI levers to Dura Ace (7800) 10
speed STI levers.

(1) What components do I need to change - STI levers, 10-speed chain,
10-speed cassette, front derailleur ?, rear deraileur ?

(2) Assuming I need to change the front and rear derailleur can I use
the (cheaper) 10-speed 105 version with Dura Ace (7800) 10 speed STI
levers?

Thanks & regards

I think you could keep that front der.

Also, watch the cranks. There might be enough space between
chainrings for a 10spd chain to wedge into. You could probably take
care of that with a new inner chainring.

On Apr 2, 6:00 pm, "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to upgrade from 8 speed 105 STI levers to Dura Ace (7800) 10
> speed STI levers.
>
> (1) What components do I need to change -

>STI levers,

yes

>10-speed chain,

yes

> 10-speed cassette,

yes

> front derailleur ?

no

>, rear deraileur ?

if the derailer is not an 8-speed Dura Ace, no

> (2) Assuming I need to change the front and rear derailleur can I use
> the (cheaper) 10-speed 105 version with Dura Ace (7800) 10 speed STI
> levers?

eventually yes

> Thanks & regards

Ciao
Luca

erikv wrote:
> I think you could keep that front der.
>
> Also, watch the cranks. There might be enough space between
> chainrings for a 10spd chain to wedge into. You could probably take
> care of that with a new inner chainring.

10-speed chains (Wipperman 1008) will get caught between 8-speed 105 cranks.
Not all the time, but often enough to be problematic. When I say "caught" I
don't mean wedged, but instead riding on the little lip where the chainring
is machined.
--
Phil

On Apr 2, 9:00 am, "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to upgrade from 8 speed 105 STI levers to Dura Ace (7800) 10
> speed STI levers.
>
> (1) What components do I need to change - STI levers, 10-speed chain,
> 10-speed cassette, front derailleur ?, rear deraileur ?
>
> (2) Assuming I need to change the front and rear derailleur can I use
> the (cheaper) 10-speed 105 version with Dura Ace (7800) 10 speed STI
> levers?
>
> Thanks & regards

shifter, cogset and chain...that is all. FD, RD, crank, brakes, all
10s compatible.

On Apr 2, 3:00 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> erikv wrote:
> > I think you could keep that front der.

> > Also, watch the cranks. There might be enough space between
> > chainrings for a 10spd chain to wedge into. You could probably take
> > care of that with a new inner chainring.

> 10-speed chains (Wipperman 1008) will get caught between 8-speed 105 cranks.
> Not all the time, but often enough to be problematic. When I say "caught" I
> don't mean wedged, but instead riding on the little lip where the chainring
> is machined.
> --
> Phil

I have wondered why Shimano claims 10s chain is not compatible with 9
speed crank, I guess that is the reason. I use a 8 speed Sugino XD600
with 10 speed chain and have not had that problem in over 6,000
miles. I do use Campy shifters so that may the reason. Shimano's
indexed front shifting works great but is not perfect every time.

Wayne

Wayne wrote:
> On Apr 2, 3:00 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> erikv wrote:
>>> I think you could keep that front der.

>>> Also, watch the cranks. There might be enough space between
>>> chainrings for a 10spd chain to wedge into. You could probably take
>>> care of that with a new inner chainring.

>> 10-speed chains (Wipperman 1008) will get caught between 8-speed 105
>> cranks. Not all the time, but often enough to be problematic. When
>> I say "caught" I don't mean wedged, but instead riding on the little
>> lip where the chainring is machined.
>> --
>> Phil

> I have wondered why Shimano claims 10s chain is not compatible with 9
> speed crank, I guess that is the reason. I use a 8 speed Sugino XD600
> with 10 speed chain and have not had that problem in over 6,000
> miles. I do use Campy shifters so that may the reason. Shimano's
> indexed front shifting works great but is not perfect every time.

Err, I never said I use Shimano. I was using Campy shifters with my setup,
and I think they were the problem because you can half-shift down with them
whereas Shimano always does a full shift. The derailleur probably wasn't
pushing the chain off the ring down completely.

I mentioned the 1008 because Campy's chains are wider than Shimano's. I
would expect a Shimano-width chain to have even more problems with
wide-spaced chainrings.

--
Phil

On Apr 2, 2:55 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 2, 9:00 am, "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I want to upgrade from 8 speed 105 STI levers to Dura Ace (7800) 10
> > speed STI levers.

> > (1) What components do I need to change - STI levers, 10-speed chain,
> > 10-speed cassette, front derailleur ?, rear deraileur ?

> > (2) Assuming I need to change the front and rear derailleur can I use
> > the (cheaper) 10-speed 105 version with Dura Ace (7800) 10 speed STI
> > levers?

> > Thanks & regards

> shifter, cogset and chain...that is all. FD, RD, crank, brakes, all
> 10s compatible.

How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
stem, and maybe some tires, too.

> 10-speed chains (Wipperman 1008) will get caught between 8-speed 105 cranks.
> Not all the time, but often enough to be problematic. When I say "caught" I
> don't mean wedged, but instead riding on the little lip where the chainring
> is machined.
> --
> Phil

Do 8spd chainrings have such a machined lip? I thought those came in
with 9spd.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Apr 2, 7:35 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Wayne wrote:

>>> I have wondered why Shimano claims 10s chain is not compatible with
>>> 9 speed crank, I guess that is the reason. I use a 8 speed Sugino
>>> XD600 with 10 speed chain and have not had that problem in over
>>> 6,000 miles. I do use Campy shifters so that may the reason.
>>> Shimano's indexed front shifting works great but is not perfect
>>> every time.

>> Err, I never said I use Shimano. I was using Campy shifters with my
>> setup, and I think they were the problem because you can half-shift
>> down with them whereas Shimano always does a full shift. The
>> derailleur probably wasn't pushing the chain off the ring down
>> completely.
>>
>> I mentioned the 1008 because Campy's chains are wider than
>> Shimano's. I would expect a Shimano-width chain to have even more
>> problems with wide-spaced chainrings.
>>
>> --
>> Phil

> Just for info-all Campagnolo's 2007 chains(late 2006 when then went
> from 6.2 to 5.9mm) are the same width as shimano and also Sram-5.9mm.

Thanks Peter - I had forgotten about that.
--
Phil

On Apr 3, 9:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 8:39 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 2, 2:55 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > shifter, cogset and chain...that is all. FD, RD, crank, brakes, all
> > > 10s compatible.

> > How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
> > stem, and maybe some tires, too

> Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
> And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!

I kinda fudged on one of my bikes by wearing a 7 speed pair of socks..

On Apr 4, 2:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 8:39 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 2, 2:55 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > shifter, cogset and chain...that is all. FD, RD, crank, brakes, all
> > > 10s compatible.

> > How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
> > stem, and maybe some tires, too

> Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
> And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!- Hide quoted text -

You work for Microsift right? Have you got your Vista compatable
mouse?

On 3 Apr 2007 22:39:51 -0700, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 3, 9:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 8:39 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
>> > stem, and maybe some tires, too

>> Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
>> And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!

>I kinda fudged on one of my bikes by wearing a 7 speed pair of socks..

You can get away with that just for riding around or maybe even for
training, but if you're thinking of racing, it'll hold you back. I'm
not familiar with loaded touring and don't know if you can get away
with that there.
--
JT
****************************

On Apr 4, 12:39 am, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 9:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 2, 8:39 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
> > > stem, and maybe some tires, too

> > Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
> > And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!

> I kinda fudged on one of my bikes by wearing a 7 speed pair of socks.

You can get away with that if you're just riding, but not if you're
Wannabeing. ;-)

On Apr 4, 1:17 am, "PiledHIgher" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 2, 8:39 pm, "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > How about skewers? Does anyone make 10s pedals? I could use a 10s
> > > stem, and maybe some tires, too

> > Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
> > And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!

> You work for Microsift right?

I do??

>Have you got your Vista compatable mouse?

I don't!!

On Apr 4, 4:08 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 1:17 am, "PiledHIgher" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 4, 2:11 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Don't forget that 10SP handlebar, seatpost, saddle and bottle cage(s).
> > > And be sure to only put that stuff on a 10SP frame and fork!

> > You work for Microsift right?

> I do??

I think he was talking to me, People who read headers that carefully
need lives.

> >Have you got your Vista compatable mouse?

> I don't!!

It's on the Hardware Compatibility List, so yes.