Shimano STI

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Desert Rat, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Guest

I have Shimano STI 9 speed shifters (Ultegra) and the right shifter seems to have an extra
    position. If you move from the large cog toward the small all the steps are normal until you are on
    the 12 (small cog). Now if you press the lever again the shifter has one more step. The derailler
    doesn't move as the outer stop has been reached but the shifter cable is now slack and to bring
    everything back to normal you must move the lever like you were shifting up one position. When you
    do this everything works fine. Also the cable moves about 50% more on this last step than on the
    other steps. By changing the cable length you can actually use that last stop for the 12-13 step
    but because of the extra motion you get a double shift from 12 to 14 and after that everything
    would work O.K. The shifters are new. I seem to recall a system that would let you shift the chain
    past the small cog to a hanger for wheel changes. That was a long time ago but this would do this
    if the derailler stop was not there. Bottom line... The shifters work fine except for this extra
    step. George

Tags:

2. derek-<< I have Shimano STI 9 speed shifters (Ultegra) and the right shifter seems to have an extra
    position. >><BR><BR>

Are you sure the inner wire end is in the recessed part of the shifter, that is, installed withn the
    lever in the 'smallest cog' position?

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.