Shimano STX Front Derailer Adjustment & Pro-Set Block

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Muktar, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Muktar

Chris Muktar Guest

Hiya,

I'm trying for the first time to readjust my already fitted Shimano STX front derailer. I dug out my
    manual, and under step one ("low adjustment") it says "First remove the Pro-Set alignment block".

It shows a completely unclear picture of what this thing is, and I swear for life of me it does not
    exist on the bike.

Anyway....I tried to proceed adjusting the screws and so on but the derailler failed to move or
    calibrate at all, so I assume this thing is holding the current settings. If anyone knows what this
    thing looks like and how to remove it, I'd be really grateful!

Thank you! Chris

Tags:

2. If the derailer is already on the bike (shop installed) the block is long gone. This instruction is
    for first time installation.

Proceed to step two... ;-3)

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

3. kh6zv9

kh6zv9 Guest

Chris Muktar <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hiya,

: I'm trying for the first time to readjust my already fitted Shimano STX front derailer. I dug
    : out my manual, and under step one ("low adjustment") it says "First remove the Pro-Set
    : alignment block".

: It shows a completely unclear picture of what this thing is, and I swear for life of me it does
    : not exist on the bike.

: Anyway....I tried to proceed adjusting the screws and so on but the derailler failed to move or
    : calibrate at all, so I assume this thing is holding the current settings. If anyone knows what
    : this thing looks like and how to remove it, I'd be really grateful!

: Thank you! Chris

The pro block gizmo is a little throw away alignment helper you find on new front derailers to help
    the installer put the mech in the right position in relation to the chain rings. They get tossed
    after installation.

--------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

4. The screws, I assume are the two on the derailer body? Those just set the travel limits of the
    derailer so it doesn't shift beyond the end f the gears. The adjustment for the shifting is the
    barrel where the cable housing joins the derailer

There is a page on my site telling how to adjust this so the derailer shifts correctly.

http://www.geocities.com/czcorner/tech6.html

Don't worry if your set up is not indexed, the process is similar enough. Sheldon has a great page
    on this too, I'm sure.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.