Shimano Tiagara Vs 105 & Ultegra?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gigzi, Feb 23, 2007.

1. gigzi

gigzi New Member

Gday,

Ive been riding now for about 3 years doing approx 100-150km per week. I ride a Giant running Shimano Tiagara.

The query i have is that a lot of the blokes i ride with are running Shimano 105 or Ultegra on very similar bikes to mine as far as weight etc goes. We all weigh around the same in bodyweight also.

Although i am generally aerobically fitter than most of them they always seem to outpower me and pull away with ease. It seems to be the differing gears that is leaving me searching when it comes to gaining that extra power output - they seem to be able to crank it up a notch when my bike has nothing left. Even when we ride in a bunch i seem to be having to crank twice as hard to keep up compared with how hard they are working.

I was wondering if i could get a few opinions on how much power i am possibly losing through having Tiagara gearing compared to these others and if so why is this the case?

Any opinions whatsoever would be a greatly appreciated - thanks.

Tags:

2. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

If their bikes weighed a few grams less than yours, you might be able to chalk it up to Tiagra versus 105/Ultegra.

If their drivetrains were lasting a few thousand miles longer than yours, you might be able to chalk it up to Tiagra versus 105/Ultegra.

But if they're kicking your butt, leaving you feeling like you've run out of gears and are unable to "crank it up a notch" when everyone else is hammering down the home stretch, I humbly suggest -- mind you, I am extremely, almost arrogantly confident of this suggestion, but I make it in all humbleness nonetheless -- that it has NOTHING to do with Tiagra versus 105/Ultegra.

It either has to do with the gear ratios you have available on your bike (i.e., size of wheels, chainrings, & cogs), or it has to do with the engine you have on your bike (i.e., you).

3. djk202020

djk202020 New Member

Ask them what they are riding. By riding I mean what size chain ring and cassete are they running and also what are you using? never the less if you are using tiagra you prob have a tripple 30/42/52 or something that that in the front and 8 or 9 spd in the back .. so at least that would give you 24 choices certainly enough to "crank it up"

I assume you have size 700 wheels on the bike what size tire are you using, what size are your friends using. If you have a 28 or 30 and they have 23 that might make a diff. Also what kind of bikes are your friends riding, By your group set it is prob a lower end Giant if they are riding "better bikes" better in the sense that more of their power is being transfered into forward motion could make a difference. Aside from shaving weight and making better more accurate shifts the group set isnt gonna make you a faster rider. Ok it might help a little bit aside from said factors above it prob comes down to your firends being more powerful on a bike.

Aerobic ability and power are very different animals look at a long distance runner and a 100 meter runner. The 100 meter guy is all muscle ripped out of his mind. The long distnace guy is gangly and skinny but can run forever b.c he is not carrying all that muscle around.

I have seen people on some pretty bad bikes, heavy and out of date group sets pass up people on bikes that cost thousands of dollars.

4. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

It sounds like your "engine" needs more improvement. I'm pretty sure we've all been there though. Try to get a training plan down. Try to spin in the morning or whenever. Do some intervals you might find online or in magazines/books, etc. I think you just need to ride more.

The two biggest differences in different grades of components are weight and crispness. You probably aren't losing much power because of the Tiagra components. Good luck!

5. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

It's not your bike - the best $10,000 monster only takes a few seconds from the cheapest steel sora bike. Make sure that your cadence is high enough.

6. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I've got some Tiagra gear on my training bike - it's fine. Changes well, light enough and is lasting well(Shimano improved it after 2000) so - as others have said it may be the engine:eek:

Look at your gearing - do you need a smaller chainring/wider cassette? Also what gear are they in plowing up hills compared to yours?

7. barry_h20

barry_h20 New Member

well again, its not about the bike...

go read the book :)