Shimano Tiagra to SRAM Force

ta2

Nov 13, 2007
I currently have a 2008 Specialized Allez Elite. It has Shimano 105 rear derailleur and Tiagra everything else. I am thinking about an upgrade to SRAM Force groupset. I'm not sure about the compatibility of any of my existing components with the SRAM components. So far I have come up with this list of what I would need to upgrade:

SRAM Force Shifters
SRAM Force Brakeset
SRAM Force Crankset - what is the difference between 170mm 172.5mm and 175mm?
SRAM Force Front Derailleur - what is the difference between 31.8mm and 35mm?
SRAM Force Rear Derailleur
SRAM PC1090R 10sp chain
Dura Ace 10sp cassette
Dura Ace 10sp rear hub

What kind of bottom bracket would I need?

What kind of performance difference would I see from this kind of upgrade?

Thanks

ta2 said:
I currently have a 2008 Specialized Allez Elite. It has Shimano 105 rear derailleur and Tiagra everything else. I am thinking about an upgrade to SRAM Force groupset. I'm not sure about the compatibility of any of my existing components with the SRAM components. So far I have come up with this list of what I would need to upgrade:

SRAM Force Shifters
SRAM Force Brakeset
SRAM Force Crankset - what is the difference between 170mm 172.5mm and 175mm?
SRAM Force Front Derailleur - what is the difference between 31.8mm and 35mm?
SRAM Force Rear Derailleur
SRAM PC1090R 10sp chain
Dura Ace 10sp cassette
Dura Ace 10sp rear hub

What kind of bottom bracket would I need?

What kind of performance difference would I see from this kind of upgrade?

Thanks
The front derailleurs come in braze on (which just bolts to a tab on the seat tube) or clamp on. 31.8 and 35mm are the clamp diameters. You need to find out what you need for your frame (I'm not familiar with the frame to that level). 170-172.5-175 are the crank arm lengths. If you are happy with what you have, make sure to stick with the same size (it should be stamped on the inside of one of the arms somewhere). That's a serious upgrade. It that frame Force worthy?

PeterF said:
The front derailleurs come in braze on (which just bolts to a tab on the seat tube) or clamp on. 31.8 and 35mm are the clamp diameters. You need to find out what you need for your frame (I'm not familiar with the frame to that level). 170-172.5-175 are the crank arm lengths. If you are happy with what you have, make sure to stick with the same size (it should be stamped on the inside of one of the arms somewhere). That's a serious upgrade. It that frame Force worthy?
Thanks, that helped a lot... as I can see from the technical specification I'll need the 31.8mm, and I can find out the crank length when I get home. :) I have been looking at both the Rival and Force groupsets. I can get the Rival for £295, and the Force for £465... (weak dollar FTW!). What difference is there between the Rival and Force groupsets apart from weight?

Thanks again.

ta2 said:
I have been looking at both the Rival and Force groupsets. I can get the Rival for £295, and the Force for £465...
FYI. By this time next year (i.e., 2008), if not in the Spring, BOTH the Rival & Force groups will probably be looked on as being equivalent to the Shimano's Tiagra OR Campagnolo's Xenon ...

Very shortly, if not already at your LBS, the SRAM RED group will be available with an improved shifting mechanism.