Shimano triple Crankset, with Campagnolo derailleurs?

Smoky

Guest
I'm trying to build a road bike for myself and have come to the
juncture where I need some expert advice. Up to this point I've
somehow managed to avoid buying incompatible parts, but choosing among
the variety and range of drive train options is proving to be a bit
overwhelming for a first time bike builder like myself.

So far I've purchased an Ultegra bottom bracket along with a Shimano
FC-6503 triple Crankset, these are currently installed on my bike and
I've also just purchased a low cost Shimano R-500 wheelset. Is there
anything in particular one needs to keep in mind when attempting to
mix Campagnolo derailleurs and "brifters" with a Shimano Ultegra
triple crank set?

Will I need to use a Shimano cassette and chain with the Shimano
triple crankset? Can I use Campagnolo derailleurs and "brifters" on
the bike or do I need special parts to make this work?

Thanks in advance

Ken W

In article <[email protected]>,
Smoky <notyou@please/remain.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build a road bike for myself and have come to the
> juncture where I need some expert advice. Up to this point I've
> somehow managed to avoid buying incompatible parts, but choosing among
> the variety and range of drive train options is proving to be a bit
> overwhelming for a first time bike builder like myself.
>
> So far I've purchased an Ultegra bottom bracket along with a Shimano
> FC-6503 triple Crankset, these are currently installed on my bike and
> I've also just purchased a low cost Shimano R-500 wheelset. Is there
> anything in particular one needs to keep in mind when attempting to
> mix Campagnolo derailleurs and "brifters" with a Shimano Ultegra
> triple crank set?
>
> Will I need to use a Shimano cassette and chain with the Shimano
> triple crankset? Can I use Campagnolo derailleurs and "brifters" on
> the bike or do I need special parts to make this work?

You are in a minor but not insurmountable pickle, mainly because your
wheels dictate a Shimano cassette.

What I run in a similar situation is a Shimagnolo drivetrain with Campy
9 (new standard) shifters, Campy 9 (old standard) rear der, and an
ordinary 9-speed Shimano cassette. It works.

For the front, Campy's front shifter is effectively not indexed, and
that's a good thing. It will work with nearly any front derailer out
there, and does a perfectly good job of shifting my Shimano double front
(Dura-Ace Octalink cranks, Ultegra BB and fder).

There are other options: Some claim that 10-speed intercompatibility is
as good as perfect, so you could try Campy 10 shifters and rder, and a
Shimano 10 cassette. You can even get spacer kits to convert a Shimano
cassette to Campy spacing, but this is probably the most expensive
solution.

The chain is as close to not mattering as possible, so I think SRAM,
Shimano, or Campy chain should work fine. You should match the chain to
the speeds in your drivetrain: 10v chain with 10-speed, or 9v chain with
9v.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

As always, I must credit my friend Dave for teaching me all this stuff,
even though I managed to get STI to shift a Suntour fder against his
better judgment.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:25:57 -0500, Smoky <notyou@please/remain.com>
wrote:

>Will I need to use a Shimano cassette and chain with the Shimano
>triple crankset? Can I use Campagnolo derailleurs and "brifters" on
>the bike or do I need special parts to make this work?

You'll need a cassette with Shimano splines. A regular 10 sp Shimano
cassette can work with even newer Campy rear derailleurs. Shimano
splined but Campy converstion cassettes are also made like IRD and
American Classic.

For perfect shifting of the Campy cassette, get a pre 2001 Campy rear
derailleur. Would you like to buy a pre 2001 Veloce long cage rear
derailleur?

Campy 10s brifter and rear der shift through Shimano 9 cassettes really
well. The front Campy brifter and der. don't care what kind of crank is
under them. I've mixed Shimano and Campy 10 cassettes with each-others
shifters/ders with good results also, just match brands of chain &
cassette. Of course, both Campy and Shimano will say the World will
stop turning if you try this..........
Jim