Shimano Triple Crankset - Your Advice Is Appreciated!

Fitz

Guest
Greetings!

I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?

I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
"new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?

Thanks to all of you!

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:29:00 -0000, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
>I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
>Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
>an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
>BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
>"new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
>bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?

I dont' understand how they are screwing you. You want to buy
something you don't have, and have choices of what to buy. Where's
the screwing?
--
JT
****************************

"Fitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Did you think that you could convert from double to triple chainrings
without buying a new crankset and bottom bracket? Depending on your setup,
you will probably also need new front and rear derailleurs and a new front
shifter.

If you had Campagnolo, SRAM, or anybody else's double setup, would it be
cheaper to change from a double to triple drive train? Check out the Record
triple crank prices.

There are many suppliers of bottom brackets and cranksets. If you want to
buy a Shimano octalink crankset from Nashbar, Harris Cyclery (and probably
many others) has the Shimano 118.5 spindle octalink bottom brackets.

BobT

"BobT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Fitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>>
>> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
>> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
>> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
>> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
>> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
>> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>>
>> Thanks to all of you!
>>

> Did you think that you could convert from double to triple chainrings
> without buying a new crankset and bottom bracket? Depending on your
> setup, you will probably also need new front and rear derailleurs and a
> new front shifter.
>
> If you had Campagnolo, SRAM, or anybody else's double setup, would it be
> cheaper to change from a double to triple drive train? Check out the
> Record triple crank prices.
>
> There are many suppliers of bottom brackets and cranksets. If you want to
> buy a Shimano octalink crankset from Nashbar, Harris Cyclery (and probably
> many others) has the Shimano 118.5 spindle octalink bottom brackets.

Consider a compact crank.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. They seem to be following the Japanese
car manufactures strategy - keep inserting new groups in at the
bottom, while bumping up the existing groups every 3 years to silly
levels.

You can buy a Shimano 105 triple BB and since they are basically use
and dispose, you might as well.

You probably want a new front derailleur, as they are engineered to
match the chainring options, and you may need more chain wrap in the
back. I don't know about brifters because I run barcons.

You might also want to look at Campy, as they have decided to split
their triple out and keep using standard square taper BB's. They look
pretty nice, and you can mix and match unless Shimano has managed to
"improve" the front shifter out of compatibility...

If you are racing you probably want to look at a compact, otherwise
the middle ring makes the front shift a little less noisome and you
can get a bit more range while keeping the jumps reasonable.

JG

On Jul 23, 5:29 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Convert your Dura-Ace crankset to a triple with a TA Tripleizer
chainring (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp and scroll
down most of the way). OTOH, that one chainring costs as much as the
"on sale" Ultegra crank.

You'll have to get a longer BB, but a 105 will fit and it's still
available in an English triple.

Jeff

Fitz wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>
> Thanks to all of you!

stop being a victim.

the remedy is quite simple:
1. get ass on bike.
2. do the miles.
3. don't need triple.

d-a triples are ridiculous.

Fitz wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?

Screwed??
There are a wealth of triple cranks from the truly miserable at $29 to
some pretty nice equipment at $100 to $200. Sugino XD Pro, Campagnolo
Centaur, etc etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article
<[email protected]>
,
JG <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yeah, it's pretty annoying. They seem to be following the Japanese
> car manufactures strategy - keep inserting new groups in at the
> bottom, while bumping up the existing groups every 3 years to silly
> levels.
>
> You can buy a Shimano 105 triple BB and since they are basically use
> and dispose, you might as well.
>
> You probably want a new front derailleur, as they are engineered to
> match the chainring options, and you may need more chain wrap in the
> back. I don't know about brifters because I run barcons.
>
> You might also want to look at Campy, as they have decided to split
> their triple out and keep using standard square taper BB's. They look
> pretty nice, and you can mix and match unless Shimano has managed to
> "improve" the front shifter out of compatibility...
>
> If you are racing you probably want to look at a compact, otherwise
> the middle ring makes the front shift a little less noisome and you
> can get a bit more range while keeping the jumps reasonable.

Probably `noisome' does not mean what you think it means.

--
Michael Press

On Jul 23, 7:29 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Whether or not you are getting screwed, make sure your left STI is
triple compatible..thery made a double only version. Should say so on
the left STI lever. BUT but a 6503 crank, FD, RD and 105 118mm BB, go
ride.

On Jul 23, 9:29 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>
> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>
> Thanks to all of you!

I bought an Ultegra Triple nine speed Octalink and couldn't find a
BB6500 68 x 118.5 so I went with a 105 BB (BB5500 I believe.)

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On Jul 23, 7:29 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?
>>
>> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
>> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
>> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
>> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
>> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
>> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?
>>
>> Thanks to all of you!

> Whether or not you are getting screwed, make sure your left STI is
> triple compatible..thery made a double only version. Should say so on
> the left STI lever. BUT but a 6503 crank, FD, RD and 105 118mm BB, go
> ride.

Just reading, with no Shimano experience, but why do they bother to make a
lever for two rings? It seems they could get away with just one lever, the
triple, and let stop screws handle the gaps. No?
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

In article <[email protected]>,
Sandy <[email protected]> wrote:
>Dans le message de news:[email protected],
>
>Just reading, with no Shimano experience, but why do they bother to make a
>lever for two rings? It seems they could get away with just one lever, the
>triple, and let stop screws handle the gaps. No?

Maybe they could, but they don't. My limited experience with STI
front shifting is that the whole thing is very sensitive to
slight changes. The stop screw solution may tweak the balance.

_ Booker C. Bense

On Jul 24, 7:37 am, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dans le message denews:[email protected],
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>

> > On Jul 23, 7:29 pm, Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Greetings!

> >> I'm ******. I am the only one who feels screwed over as a consumer?

> >> I want to convert my Dura-Ace double to an Ultegra triple. However,
> >> Shimano (and it's built-in obsolescence) is forcing me to buy either
> >> an "old" triple (Nashbar has one for $75.00 but no longer offer the
> >> BB6500 68 x 118.5 bottom bracket); OR pony up over $260.00 for the
> >> "new" crankset and an additional $35.00 for the proprietary bottom
> >> bracket cups). What are my options for a triple conversion?

> >> Thanks to all of you!

> > Whether or not you are getting screwed, make sure your left STI is
> > triple compatible..thery made a double only version. Should say so on
> > the left STI lever. BUT but a 6503 crank, FD, RD and 105 118mm BB, go
> > ride.

> Just reading, with no Shimano experience, but why do they bother to make a
> lever for two rings? It seems they could get away with just one lever, the
> triple, and let stop screws handle the gaps. No?

I've wondered that for a while..Still they make 7800 and 6600 for
doubles only..more racey, I guess but as Sheldon once told me and it's
true, of course, shift a triple, shift a double..
> --
> Bonne route !
>
> Sandy
> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

On Jul 24, 7:57 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Jul.
[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> Sandy <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Dans le message denews:[email protected],

> >Just reading, with no Shimano experience, but why do they bother to make a
> >lever for two rings? It seems they could get away with just one lever, the
> >triple, and let stop screws handle the gaps. No?

> Maybe they could, but they don't. My limited experience with STI
> front shifting is that the whole thing is very sensitive to
> slight changes. The stop screw solution may tweak the balance.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

Except yoiu can use a 77/7803 and 65/6603 on a double just fine and
dandy.

Get a Willow triplizer chainring and use it on your existing crank.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/130.html#willow. And I'd see how
it goes with the existing BB before bothering to get a longer one. I have an
XTR 950 series crank on a touring bike and it works fine with the 109.5mm
Octalink BB that is intended for a double.