Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed R600 freewheel reassembly

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem

Guest
I was servicing my Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed R600 rear hub and when I
reassembled the hub, I found that when I tightened the right hand lock nut
(which is combined with a seal ring and which fixes the freewheel into the
hub), that the freewheel was tight so that when I manually rotated the crank
set and then released my hand from the pedal, the crank continued in the
direction of the rotation, as if it were moving in that direction because of
friction between the freewheel body and the hub causing the freewheel to
rotate the crank. I then backed the right hand lock nut off so that there
was a slight amount play between where the pawls insert into the fixed hub
splines that are imbedded into the hub. This seemed to release the binding
that caused the freewheel to keep the crank turning when not pedaling, but I
had no sense that the right hand lock nut should be slightly loose from when
I had originally disassembled the hub. My remembrance was that it was
screwed, with a left hand threading, fairly tightly to the axle. I do not
think that I dropped any parts. I was wondering if this is the way the
right hand lock nut should be reassembled. It just doesn't seem right
because it is so loose that it can be rotated by hand when the wheel is not
clamped to the bike frame and it seems like water would have easy access
between freewheel body and the hub.

Here is a schematic of the assembly of the rear rub:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techd.../EV-WH-R600-R-2424A_v1_m56577569830608677.pdf

On Oct 28, 12:44 am, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I was servicing my Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed R600 rear hub and when I
> reassembled the hub, I found that when I tightened the right hand lock nut
> (which is combined with a seal ring and which fixes the freewheel into the
> hub), that the freewheel was tight so that when I manually rotated the crank
> set and then released my hand from the pedal, the crank continued in the
> direction of the rotation, as if it were moving in that direction because of
> friction between the freewheel body and the hub causing the freewheel to
> rotate the crank. I then backed the right hand lock nut off so that there
> was a slight amount play between where the pawls insert into the fixed hub
> splines that are imbedded into the hub. This seemed to release the binding
> that caused the freewheel to keep the crank turning when not pedaling, but I
> had no sense that the right hand lock nut should be slightly loose from when
> I had originally disassembled the hub. My remembrance was that it was
> screwed, with a left hand threading, fairly tightly to the axle. I do not
> think that I dropped any parts. I was wondering if this is the way the
> right hand lock nut should be reassembled. It just doesn't seem right
> because it is so loose that it can be rotated by hand when the wheel is not
> clamped to the bike frame and it seems like water would have easy access
> between freewheel body and the hub.
>
> Here is a schematic of the assembly of the rear rub:
>
> http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/...

Perhaps the axle end, the left threaded nut is binding somehow on the
seal right above the freehub body.

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem wrote:
> I was servicing my Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed R600 rear hub and when I
> reassembled the hub, I found that when I tightened the right hand lock nut
> (which is combined with a seal ring and which fixes the freewheel into the
> hub), that the freewheel was tight so that when I manually rotated the crank
> set and then released my hand from the pedal, the crank continued in the
> direction of the rotation, as if it were moving in that direction because of
> friction between the freewheel body and the hub causing the freewheel to
> rotate the crank. I then backed the right hand lock nut off so that there
> was a slight amount play between where the pawls insert into the fixed hub
> splines that are imbedded into the hub. This seemed to release the binding
> that caused the freewheel to keep the crank turning when not pedaling, but I
> had no sense that the right hand lock nut should be slightly loose from when
> I had originally disassembled the hub. My remembrance was that it was
> screwed, with a left hand threading, fairly tightly to the axle. I do not
> think that I dropped any parts. I was wondering if this is the way the
> right hand lock nut should be reassembled. It just doesn't seem right
> because it is so loose that it can be rotated by hand when the wheel is not
> clamped to the bike frame and it seems like water would have easy access
> between freewheel body and the hub.
>
> Here is a schematic of the assembly of the rear rub:
>
> http://bike.shimano.com/media/techd.../EV-WH-R600-R-2424A_v1_m56577569830608677.pdf

Lock right side cone/locknut on oiled threads first. Then assemble hub,
adjust from the left.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org