Shimano Ultegra 6600 Jammed Shift Cable (frayed end)

dsschanze

Jan 14, 2007
Early this morning, I was setting out on a ride and as I shifted up from a smaller cog, my shift cable broke out of my Shimano Ultegra 6600 shift levers. Unfortunately the cable broke on a frayed end and left end in the gear stopper which is now jammed down inside the shifter. My question is, how can I back the stopper back around so I can get the frayed end out and reinstall a new cable.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

dsschanze said:
Early this morning, I was setting out on a ride and as I shifted up from a smaller cog, my shift cable broke out of my Shimano Ultegra 6600 shift levers. Unfortunately the cable broke on a frayed end and left end in the gear stopper which is now jammed down inside the shifter. My question is, how can I back the stopper back around so I can get the frayed end out and reinstall a new cable.

Thanks in advance,

Derek
I really don't know. This may be a good time to visit your LBS and take your bike with you.

Same thing happened to me about three weeks ago except I was using the 6500's. Brought it to my LBS and they couldn't fix it. Had to buy a new one so I upgraded to Dura-Ace (that was the good news). My shifters were about 5 years old so I attributed it too age and wear and didn't pursue it any farther.

pqken

dsschanze said:

Thanks in advance,

Derek

We've seen this a few times and have not been successful getting the end out. If less than 2 years old, send it back to shimano via a bike shop for warranty, can't lose.