Shimano Ultegra 6800 Groupset Upgrade

lendsley

May 10, 2015
Hello,

I currently have a 2010 Cannondale SIX Carbon 105 Compact but I am looking at different upgrade possibilities. I have been looking at the Ultegra 6800 Groupset but I need some help and I am not too familiar with what would be the best combination of components. I have been looking at this webiste http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-groupset-62928.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Groupsets+by+Shimano%2C+Campagnolo+and+SRAM&gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZJQmbJ9kxVxlkkjI1up7bQU_nUUvDOIkrNK4aRDOgUBoCt3zw_wcB.

I don't do a whole lot of hills but I do every once in a while like to venture and climb. I do like the idea of having the option to climb on the components. From this site, what would be some suggestions?

Thanks!

172.5 50/34 crankset (this is a compac crank) unless you are really tall or really short. Most people use 172.5 crank arms.

If you're running a compact crank then a 12/28 cassette will let you climb most stuff. I've climbed sustained steep grades with this combo and by far I'm not mr superman when it comes to climbs. Unless your are planning on doing something harder than Alpe d'Huez then there is no need for the medium cage with a 12-32 cassette.

Thank you for your response. I'm 6'3 if that makes any difference. I am assuming that I am currently running 172.5 crank and it seems to work just fine for my needs.

lendsley said:
I currently have a 2010 Cannondale SIX Carbon 105 Compact but I am looking at different upgrade possibilities. I have been looking at the Ultegra 6800 Groupset but I need some help and I am not too familiar with what would be the best combination of components. I have been looking at this webiste http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-groupset-62928.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Groupsets+by+Shimano%2C+Campagnolo+and+SRAM&gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZJQmbJ9kxVxlkkjI1up7bQU_nUUvDOIkrNK4aRDOgUBoCt3zw_wcB.

I don't do a whole lot of hills but I do every once in a while like to venture and climb. I do like the idea of having the option to climb on the components. From this site, what would be some suggestions?
That's a really sweet deal for that Ultegra group ... and, a very good deal on the 105 group, too, of course.

FWIW. Well, I guess that it needs to be said ...

FIRST. The difference between a 105 component group and an Ultegra component group is mostly cosmetic + some minor weight difference ...

The pulley wheels on the rear derailleur are different ... I'm not so sure that the plain-jane bushings aren't actually smoother for most people than the ceramic doodahs which are on the more expensive Shimano pulley wheels UNLESS one is very fastidious about maintenance.

The lack of difference is actually a good thing for the consumer who opts for a 105 equipped bike ...

Regardless, thinking that going to 11-speeds from 10-speeds (or 9-speeds in some cases) may-or-may-not be wise thinking because if all you need is a lower gear then EITHER a compact crankset OR what is typically considered to be a MTB Cassette is a much more economical option.

SECOND. If you want better downshifting to a lower gear then Campagnolo shifters will be a more economical option unless you opt for Super-/Record shifters ...

Campagnolo shifters are unintentionally compatible with Shimano drivetrains ...

IMO, the biggest point of incompatibility between Shimano & Campagnolo shifters is the odd-ball size of the diecast ends on Campagnolo's brake & derailleur cables which are now slightly smaller (larger ends can be shaved down with a flat file if you get the "wrong" size ... the PowerShift derailleur cables use even more odd-ball, spoke-nipple-sized diecast ends) ...

If you get a set of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters, you can (wait for it) use them with whichever 11-speed Campagnolo or Shimano drivetrain components which you may want to use.

You can buy a set of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters for (much) less than $200 24/7 via eBay if you are wise shopper.

Very few, if any, cranksets-or-Chainrings are incompatible with Campagnolo shifters ... so, if you are keen on getting the new, 4-arm Shimano crankset, then go ahead ...

Otherwise (presuming that you don't currently have a compact crankset), if you aesthetic sensibilities can deal with it, just choose an FSA 50/34 crankset which is compatible with your frame's BB shell.

AFAIK, the same cannot be said for 11-speed Shimano shifters ... but, who knows?!?

There is some debate as to whether the longer pull on the more recent Shimano brake calipers will negate their use with brake levers which have the more traditional pull rate ...

THAT is something you need to try & decide on an individual basis depending on one's own preference.

THIRD. And, this may be the most relevant ... by my reckoning, the difference in spacing between 10-speed Shimano Cogs & 11-speed Shimano Cogs is (IMO) negligible; so, you can use the 11-speed Shimano stuff with a 10-speed Shimano/-compatible wheel & Cassette if you set the rear derailleur's stops, accordingly ...

That is, if you opt for one of the 11-speed Shimano groups (the prices will probably comparable from other retailers, BTW, because Shimano has pretty strict controls over their pricing), you can put the Cassette in your toolbox until you get an appropriately hubbed rear wheel.

BTW. While I have some short cage rear derailleurs, I typically opt for a longer cage because I don't have qualms about pulling a few extra links around while riding AND there isn't any penalty with regard to how well the derailleur shifts which I can discern ...

The SHORT cage on most 9-/10-speed Shimano ROAD rear derailleurs can be easily swapped with the cage from most post-1998 Shimano MTB rear derailleurs (the obvious EXCEPTION will be cage from a "Shadow" rear derailleur which is attached to the rear derailleurs front knuckle differently) or the GS cage from another Shimano Road rear derailleur.

This is an Ultegra rear derailleur which I modified with the SGS cage from an XT rear derailleur ...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:15972]​
I recently swapped the pictured XT cage with a slightly longer (!) cage from a Shimano Saint rear derailleur which I wasn't using.

BTW2. Based on the price reduction of BOTH of the 11-speed Ultegra & 105 groups, even though it seems as though Shimano just introduced their 11-speed groups, I would look for Shimano to possibly introduce yet another "new" Dura Ace group with this year's TdF ... for sale to consumers in 2016 ... maybe, maybe not.

Consequently, I guess I would consider waiting a couple of months to see if the aesthetics of the next generation suits one's sensibilities more than the current generation of components.

If you like-or-love the look of the new components, then the prices are tough to turn away from.

BTW3. You could probably use 175mm (or longer!) cranks.