shimano ultegra 9sp levers assembly photos

Hi folks,

After 7 years and around 30000km my right hand (rear) ultegra lever
recently broke it's main spring (as documented by Bill Cotton
http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm). I managed to source
a replacement spring from my local bike shop who keeps old broken
levers around for parts. For some reason the broken spring also caused
the inner down shift lever to lock up and unable to move so I ended
up taking the whole assembly apart and i mean down to the last gear
cog.

Miraculously I managed to put it all back together and got it working
again, it's now back on my bike and after 300km it's still shifting
smoothly. Anyway since I couldn't find anything anywhere about taking
apart STI shifters and putting them back together I thought I take a
few photos during the process and post them for anyone else who has
the unfortunate luck of having a lever break down on them and have
considered trying to fix it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/s331234/ShimanoUltegraSTILeversShiftersAssembly

When you first take apart these things it is quite daunting as it
looks like there's a hundred springs and cogs but if you're reasonbly
mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
putting them back together is quite logical.

I haven't had the time to write a comprehensive accompanying text to
the photos so apologies for that. If you have any questions feel free
to email me. Also for some reason (on my pc anyway) the thumbnails on
my picasa album isn't showing.

Steve.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> After 7 years and around 30000km my right hand (rear) ultegra lever
> recently broke it's main spring (as documented by Bill Cotton
> http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm). I managed to source
> a replacement spring from my local bike shop who keeps old broken
> levers around for parts. For some reason the broken spring also caused
> the inner down shift lever to lock up and unable to move so I ended
> up taking the whole assembly apart and i mean down to the last gear
> cog.
>
> Miraculously I managed to put it all back together and got it working
> again, it's now back on my bike and after 300km it's still shifting
> smoothly. Anyway since I couldn't find anything anywhere about taking
> apart STI shifters and putting them back together I thought I take a
> few photos during the process and post them for anyone else who has
> the unfortunate luck of having a lever break down on them and have
> considered trying to fix it.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/s331234/ShimanoUltegraSTILeversShiftersAssembly
>
> When you first take apart these things it is quite daunting as it
> looks like there's a hundred springs and cogs but if you're reasonbly
> mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
> evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
> putting them back together is quite logical.
>
> I haven't had the time to write a comprehensive accompanying text to
> the photos so apologies for that. If you have any questions feel free
> to email me. Also for some reason (on my pc anyway) the thumbnails on
> my picasa album isn't showing.
>
> Steve.

Very good pictures!

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Sep 30, 12:41 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> After 7 years and around 30000km my right hand (rear) ultegra lever
> recently broke it's main spring (as documented by Bill Cottonhttp://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm). I managed to source
> a replacement spring from my local bike shop who keeps old broken
> levers around for parts. For some reason the broken spring also caused
> the inner down shift lever to lock up and unable to move so I ended
> up taking the whole assembly apart and i mean down to the last gear
> cog.
>
> Miraculously I managed to put it all back together and got it working
> again, it's now back on my bike and after 300km it's still shifting
> smoothly. Anyway since I couldn't find anything anywhere about taking
> apart STI shifters and putting them back together I thought I take a
> few photos during the process and post them for anyone else who has
> the unfortunate luck of having a lever break down on them and have
> considered trying to fix it.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/s331234/ShimanoUltegraSTILeversShiftersAs...
>
> When you first take apart these things it is quite daunting as it
> looks like there's a hundred springs and cogs but if you're reasonbly
> mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
> evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
> putting them back together is quite logical.
>
> I haven't had the time to write a comprehensive accompanying text to
> the photos so apologies for that. If you have any questions feel free
> to email me. Also for some reason (on my pc anyway) the thumbnails on
> my picasa album isn't showing.
>
> Steve.

Fantastic: just what I needed.

Thanks,

Thomas Hood

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyway since I couldn't find anything anywhere about taking
> apart STI shifters and putting them back together I thought I take a
> few photos during the process and post them for anyone else who has
> the unfortunate luck of having a lever break down on them and have
> considered trying to fix it.

I already rebuilt a Campa lever once and I must say this looks far more
complicated, but at least there's hope now:Thanks!

Derk

if you're reasonbly
> mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
> evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
> putting them back together is quite logical.

------------
I threw mine away after reading the
stupid rbt advice that they couldn't be
rebuilt.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> After 7 years and around 30000km my right hand (rear) ultegra lever
> recently broke it's main spring (as documented by Bill Cotton
> http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm). I managed to source
> a replacement spring from my local bike shop who keeps old broken
> levers around for parts. For some reason the broken spring also caused
> the inner down shift lever to lock up and unable to move so I ended
> up taking the whole assembly apart and i mean down to the last gear
> cog.
>
> Miraculously I managed to put it all back together and got it working
> again, it's now back on my bike and after 300km it's still shifting
> smoothly. Anyway since I couldn't find anything anywhere about taking
> apart STI shifters and putting them back together I thought I take a
> few photos during the process and post them for anyone else who has
> the unfortunate luck of having a lever break down on them and have
> considered trying to fix it.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/s331234/ShimanoUltegraSTILeversShiftersAssembly
>
> When you first take apart these things it is quite daunting as it
> looks like there's a hundred springs and cogs but if you're reasonbly
> mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
> evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
> putting them back together is quite logical.
>
> I haven't had the time to write a comprehensive accompanying text to
> the photos so apologies for that. If you have any questions feel free
> to email me. Also for some reason (on my pc anyway) the thumbnails on
> my picasa album isn't showing.
>
> Steve.

Steve,
Thanks very much - just what's needed.
Kerry

On Oct 1, 1:57 am, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
wrote:
> if you're reasonbly> mechanically minded and have the patience to work things out after a
> > evening or two you can figure out how these things actually work and
> > putting them back together is quite logical.

> ------------
> I threw mine away after reading the
> stupid rbt advice that they couldn't be
> rebuilt.

Rebuilt? Technically anything can be rebuilt if you've got the time,
patience and ingenuity.

Repair? That will depend if you can source the parts. All but one bike
shop I rang up simply stated it cannot be repaired and was more
interested in selling me a new pair of levers, only Ridgeway Cycles
(in Stafford, Brisbane Australia) was of any help. Had they not had a
spare spring salvaged from old levers I too would've end up binning it
and buying a new shifter. I've been going to these guys for years for
my cycling purchases if you live in Brisbane I highly recommend them
as they're really knowledgeable and friendly.

I can see why (and totally agree with) Shimano recommending against
disassembling the unit for maintenance purposes, but hey if the unit
is totally stuffed (like mine was) there's no harm in taking it apart
just for curiosity sake.

The man himself Sheldon Brown has asked me to do a write up for his
site, time is a bit constraining at the moment for me and also I feel
to accurately describe the re-assembly process I need to take more
detailed step by step photos as there's a couple of springs that needs
to be assembled while under tension (hope that makes sense). However
the lever is now back on the bike and working and there's no way I'm
going to tempt fate by taking it apart again. So I'll have to see what
I can come up with time wise.

Steve.