Shimano Ultegra - Help needed please

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jason, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Rather embarrassing this so please bear with me...

    I used to be a very keen regular road racing cyclist about 20 years ago
    but living in big cities meant that I had to migrate towards a MTB as I
    was fed up on potholes killing the wheels. spokes etc.

    When my brother emigrated, I bought his road racing bike which he had
    bought from a semi-pro cyclist and so it is really well specced
    throughout. I tried to find the time to give it a service as I'm
    planning to get back into cycling this year but as I couldn't find the
    time, I had it done by a local shop. So far, so good. Well I took it
    out for a spin yesterday, and everything was fine until I went to
    change gear (Shimano Ultegra groupset). It went up the gears
    fine...but I couldn't change down. Now this was embarrassing!

    I used to think I was fairly clued up about most things to do with
    cycling so took a good long look at it but couldn't figure it out! The
    gear levers are integrated into the brake levers and I would have
    thought it was as simple as one click one way to change up and one
    click the other to chenge back down. Is this right as it doesn't work
    this way right now.

    I'm disappointed as I paid out to get it serviced and unless I'm
    missing something very simple, it appears that they didn't do a good
    job, yet still charged me double the estimate!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. "Jason" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I used to think I was fairly clued up about most things to do with
    > cycling so took a good long look at it but couldn't figure it out!
    > The gear levers are integrated into the brake levers and I would
    > have thought it was as simple as one click one way to change up and
    > one click the other to chenge back down. Is this right as it
    > doesn't work this way right now.

    You should have the main lever and a smaller lever behind it. You
    push one to go one way on the cogs and the other to go the other way.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck

  3. mb

    mb Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > Rather embarrassing this so please bear with me...

    8<

    > I'm disappointed as I paid out to get it serviced and unless I'm
    > missing something very simple, it appears that they didn't do a good
    > job, yet still charged me double the estimate!
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    You should have two levers; one big and a smaller one behind that. Use
    the big lever (together with smaller lever) to change up to bigger cogs
    and then the smaller lever on its own to change to smaller cogs.

    --
    Mike

  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Guys,

    Thanks for your help. I'd seen the little levers but didn't realise
    tha the brake lever itself changed gears...doh! Just been out to test
    your advice and it's now perfect.

    How did we manage before the internet? I could've been here for a long
    time trying to work this out on my own!

    Cheers,

    Jason

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Guys,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I'd seen the little levers but didn't realise
    > tha the brake lever itself changed gears...doh! Just been out to test
    > your advice and it's now perfect.
    >
    > How did we manage before the internet? I could've been here for a long
    > time trying to work this out on my own!

    Before the internet we had down tube changers.

    Easy

  6. ......Before the internet we had down tube changers.

    ......Easy

    Most of my problems come from fancy gear changers and huge numbers of
    sprockets and chainwheels.
    How much more reliable and adaptable are friction dt levers.
    TerryJ