Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Shimano Ultegra hubs ceasing???

Started by Benny Ben · · Last activity · 4 posts · 974 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 August 2004
Last activity
23 August 2004
Original author
Benny Ben
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
974
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All

    I have a pair of Mavic Open Pros on Shimano Ultegra hubs. Whilst out on a training ride last week when my rear wheel ceased. Is this a common problem with Ultegra hubs?

    I have take the hubs to bits and had a good look at the axle/cone setup and cannot see a way to prevent this from recurring other than tightening the lock nuts very tight. Is there something else that I should know about the set-up? I know that cheaper axles sometimes have one fixed cone and one adjustable one but I managed to get both cones off the axle and figure that one side will always be prone to getting tighter.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks

  2. Benny Ben said:

    Hello All

    I have a pair of Mavic Open Pros on Shimano Ultegra hubs. Whilst out on a training ride last week when my rear wheel ceased. Is this a common problem with Ultegra hubs?

    I have take the hubs to bits and had a good look at the axle/cone setup and cannot see a way to prevent this from recurring other than tightening the lock nuts very tight. Is there something else that I should know about the set-up? I know that cheaper axles sometimes have one fixed cone and one adjustable one but I managed to get both cones off the axle and figure that one side will always be prone to getting tighter.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Not a common problem.
    Properly adjusted and tightened, they go well for thousands of miles.
    Park Tool site has a good article on how to do it:

    <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml>

  3. Benny Ben said:

    Hello All

    I have a pair of Mavic Open Pros on Shimano Ultegra hubs. Whilst out on a training ride last week when my rear wheel ceased. Is this a common problem with Ultegra hubs?

    I have take the hubs to bits and had a good look at the axle/cone setup and cannot see a way to prevent this from recurring other than tightening the lock nuts very tight. Is there something else that I should know about the set-up? I know that cheaper axles sometimes have one fixed cone and one adjustable one but I managed to get both cones off the axle and figure that one side will always be prone to getting tighter.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Ultegras, and other similar shimanos are my standard hubsand never had the problem. The cones have to be adjusted and the locknuts properly tightened, It requires proper cone wrenches. They do not self tighten if the locknuts are properly torqued.

  4. Thanks for your replies - especially the links.

    Just so that you know, I bought the wheels from a bike shop in the UK, put them on my bike and have ridden them for about a year without touching the cones/hubs. The back wheel ceased whilst out on a ride and I was a little annoyed to say the least.

    I cleaned everything up and rebuilt the hub; stuck it on the turbo for an hour and it seems fine now (fingers crossed!)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.