Shimano UN72/3 BB

Julian

Guest
Hi

I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I was
expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the axle
has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

--
Julian

Julian wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
> axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
the grease.

The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so the
material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !

NC.

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

NC wrote:
> Julian wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
>> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
>> axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.
>

> Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
> the grease.
>
> The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so the
> material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !
>

> NC.

Unlikely to seize in the shell and easier to break away if it does

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:23:43 +0000, Julian
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
>was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
>axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

Yes. The end which is combined with the bearings is metal. The single cup is plastic nowadays. I
fitted a UN73 couple of weeks ago, it seemed to go in ok. Didn't used to be like that in my days
blah. Cheers Richard Please remove THIS if replying

In message <[email protected]>, MSeries <[email protected]> writes
>NC wrote:
>> Julian wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
>>> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of
>>> the axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.
>>

>> Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
>> the grease.
>>
>> The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so
>> the material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !
>>

>> NC.
>
>Unlikely to seize in the shell and easier to break away if it does

Okay, plastic it is then. It was just that the review featured by Wiggle mentioned a metal cup, so
that was what I was expecting. I've not had problems with previous plastic cupped (I realize it's
not a cup as in the old style BBs) BBS so no worries there. Thanks folks. By the way Wiggle were
very quick and I got wine gums!
--
Julian

Julian wrote:
> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
> axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

Same as I got from Chain Reaction (cheaper, with free next day delivery) - although I have
read other descriptions/reports that also claim it should have a metal cup. Plastic one saves
weight anyway.

Wiggle's product descriptions are not reliable and their prices are high for many items.

~PB

Julian ([email protected]) wrote:
: I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
: was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
: axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

I've saw a review of BBs in one of the mtb mags. It said the UN52/53 was plastic and the UN72/73
was metal.

Blair.