Shimano UN72/3 BB

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Julian, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Julian

    Julian Guest

    Hi

    I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I was
    expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the axle
    has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

    --
    Julian

    Tags:

  2. Nc

    Nc Guest

    Julian wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    > was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
    > axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

    Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
    the grease.

    The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so the
    material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !

    NC.

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    NC wrote:
    > Julian wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    >> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
    >> axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.
    >

    > Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
    > the grease.
    >
    > The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so the
    > material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !
    >

    > NC.

    Unlikely to seize in the shell and easier to break away if it does

  4. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:23:43 +0000, Julian
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    >was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
    >axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

    Yes. The end which is combined with the bearings is metal. The single cup is plastic nowadays. I
    fitted a UN73 couple of weeks ago, it seemed to go in ok. Didn't used to be like that in my days
    blah. Cheers Richard Please remove THIS if replying

  5. Julian

    Julian Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, MSeries <[email protected]> writes
    >NC wrote:
    >> Julian wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    >>> was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of
    >>> the axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.
    >>

    >> Sounds very similar to the one I bought about 6 months ago from another supplier, even down to
    >> the grease.
    >>
    >> The plastic end isn't a cup, its just a location device to support the LH of the cartridge, so
    >> the material is not too critical. Arguably plastic is better because it can't rust !
    >>

    >> NC.
    >
    >Unlikely to seize in the shell and easier to break away if it does

    Okay, plastic it is then. It was just that the review featured by Wiggle mentioned a metal cup, so
    that was what I was expecting. I've not had problems with previous plastic cupped (I realize it's
    not a cup as in the old style BBs) BBS so no worries there. Thanks folks. By the way Wiggle were
    very quick and I got wine gums!
    --
    Julian

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Julian wrote:
    > I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    > was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
    > axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

    Same as I got from Chain Reaction (cheaper, with free next day delivery) - although I have
    read other descriptions/reports that also claim it should have a metal cup. Plastic one saves
    weight anyway.

    Wiggle's product descriptions are not reliable and their prices are high for many items.

    ~PB

  7. Julian ([email protected]) wrote:
    : I've just received a Shimano UN72/3 bottom bracket from Wiggle (delivered next day!). However, I
    : was expecting it to have a metal retaining cup, but it's plastic. Is this correct? One end of the
    : axle has been greased, I wonder if it's a return.

    I've saw a review of BBs in one of the mtb mags. It said the UN52/53 was plastic and the UN72/73
    was metal.

    Blair.