shimano v-brake/shift assembly c201 - how do i get it open?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    im working on a friends bike, and dont want to break his shifter assembly. is there somewhere i can
    find an exploded diagram for this shifter, or dissassembly instructions? i cant figure out if the
    black cover over the internals pops off, or needs some special nudging in special directions.

    this is the goofy shifter assembly that also has a little front-mounted window that tells you what
    gear you're in.

    i either cant find it on the shimano website, or my computer is too old to make the site work.
    thoguhts? advice?

    thanks,

    anthony

    Tags:

  2. ant wrote:

    > im working on a friends bike, and dont want to break his shifter assembly. is there somewhere i
    > can find an exploded diagram for this shifter, or dissassembly instructions? i cant figure out if
    > the black cover over the internals pops off, or needs some special nudging in special directions.
    >
    > this is the goofy shifter assembly that also has a little front-mounted window that tells you what
    > gear you're in.
    >
    > i either cant find it on the shimano website, or my computer is too old to make the site work.
    > thoguhts? advice?

    Shimano Europe's website has lots of exploded views. Maybe it has the one you need. Try
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just curious, why do you want to open it? Is it malfunctioning? If not, a drop of light oil into
    > the opening where the cable enters should keep it happy.

    sorry for late response. our server drops everything, and i catch thigns late on google sometimes.

    i needed to open it because the weeny little cable which actuates the funky gear-display had come
    out of its track.

    i took all the screws out, but some pieces were held on. i wanted to see if there were some
    disassembly instructions that would indicate that the black cover plate had some other fastener, or
    some special way to get it off. didnt want to break anything.

    i didnt see anything on the site, so i just pulled. it was a snap fit. ive taken it on and off a few
    times now, as the cable kept derailling, until i epoxied it into the track. im sure thats what all
    the pros reccomend ;)

    cheers