Shimano v FSP Crankset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stevoking27, Sep 25, 2013.

1. stevoking27

stevoking27 New Member

So I recently bought a second hand Giant Defy 1 from a dealer. I later realized that instead of the standard, Shimano R565 crankset which is stock on this bike, It has a FSA Gossamer Compact Crankset. I haven't been able to find any other comparisons on the web. Have I been ripped off? Or is it an upgraded crankset. ie. which is better?

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I have no clue what was OEM spec on your particular Defy, but manufacturers often maximize profit and minimize production costs by using a crankset that is not a match to the driveline group set. They sometimes do the same with brakes, for example selling the bike with Tektro or FSA brakes instead of the shimaNO or Campy components that would match up to the derailleurs and shift/brake levers.

They also save a buck or three on some bikes by tossing on a no-name or less popular brand cassette, an inexpensive wheel set, cheap saddle and by using a house brand or manufacturer-owned brand of seatpost/handlebar & stem.

FSA manufactures pretty good quality components. Even their lower end lines generally give good service and function pretty close to the high-end name brand components. Do yourself a favor and keep after the torque on the fasteners until you are familiar with their ability to stay tight. Blue Loctite, rather than over-torquing, is the advice I would offer.

stevoking27 likes this.
  3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Shimano has been discontinuing its "no-name" road components like the R500 range of cranks and 8- and 9-speed STI levers. It's quite likely that when Giant spec'ed the bike the R565 was available and they had to come up with a replacement some time during production.

The FSA Gossamer crank is often maligned in this forum, but I've found it to give good shift performance and reliability. It's not in the class of 105 and, in my experience, FSA's Mego Exo bottom brackets are not as durable, but if you keep everything clean and adjusted you'll get good service.

stevoking27 likes this.