Shimano WH-550 for heavy rider?

Hi everyone,

I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels. I
am looking for a set of training/racing wheels, and when a free set of
wheels present themselves, I take them. But the question is are they
worth it, even free as they were, for me? I weigh 95kg and ride on some
rough-ish roads. If they start breaking spokes, and I get stuck on the
side of the road, the hassle makes them worthless to me. Selling them
on eBay isn't really an option as I don't have the boxes, and I live in
Norway, thousands of kilometers (and at least $85 of dollars in
shipping) from most potential buyers.

So, should I use them, or get rid of them? I'd like to decide this
before I use them.

Suggestions?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels. I
> am looking for a set of training/racing wheels, and when a free set of
> wheels present themselves, I take them. But the question is are they
> worth it, even free as they were, for me? I weigh 95kg and ride on some
> rough-ish roads. If they start breaking spokes, and I get stuck on the
> side of the road, the hassle makes them worthless to me. Selling them
> on eBay isn't really an option as I don't have the boxes, and I live in
> Norway, thousands of kilometers (and at least $85 of dollars in
> shipping) from most potential buyers.
>
> So, should I use them, or get rid of them? I'd like to decide this
> before I use them.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

Get rid of them, easy. No such thing as a free lunch, heavy rider,
rough roads, expect to have problems with these light, low spoke count
wheels.

Sell them to a lighter riding buddy when new, before ya beat them up.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels. I
> am looking for a set of training/racing wheels, and when a free set of
> wheels present themselves, I take them. But the question is are they
> worth it, even free as they were, for me? I weigh 95kg and ride on some
> rough-ish roads. If they start breaking spokes, and I get stuck on the
> side of the road, the hassle makes them worthless to me. Selling them
> on eBay isn't really an option as I don't have the boxes, and I live in
> Norway, thousands of kilometers (and at least $85 of dollars in
> shipping) from most potential buyers.
>
> So, should I use them, or get rid of them? I'd like to decide this
> before I use them.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle on
them.
If you can't trade or sell local and selling as is won't be
cost-effective then is it worth breaking up the wheel to sell the parts
separately? Seriously, I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
cheap to replace. Sell the hubs also. Make the rims into ornaments.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels. I
> am looking for a set of training/racing wheels, and when a free set of
> wheels present themselves, I take them. But the question is are they
> worth it, even free as they were, for me? I weigh 95kg and ride on some
> rough-ish roads. If they start breaking spokes, and I get stuck on the
> side of the road, the hassle makes them worthless to me. Selling them
> on eBay isn't really an option as I don't have the boxes, and I live in
> Norway, thousands of kilometers (and at least $85 of dollars in
> shipping) from most potential buyers.
>
> So, should I use them, or get rid of them? I'd like to decide this
> before I use them.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Joseph

I dont understand Shimano making all their wheels with a low spoke
count. I'd sell them and buy something with a few more spokes.

Stan Cox

DD wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels.

> As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
> the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle on
> them.
> I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
> cheap to replace.

Where do these spokes break? Would stress relieving help? I've never
known broken spokes to be a problem (in the last two decades or so),
but I don't know these wheels.

[email protected] wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels.

>>As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
>>the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle on
>>them.
>>I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
>>cheap to replace.

> Where do these spokes break? Would stress relieving help? I've never
> known broken spokes to be a problem (in the last two decades or so),
> but I don't know these wheels.

If they are the ones I think they are 20 spoke radial fron 24 spoke
rear. Hence my reservations.

Stan Cox

Stan Cox wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > DD wrote:

> >>As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
> >>the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle on
> >>them.
> >>I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
> >>cheap to replace.

> > Where do these spokes break? Would stress relieving help? I've never
> > known broken spokes to be a problem (in the last two decades or so),
> > but I don't know these wheels.
> >

> If they are the ones I think they are 20 spoke radial fron 24 spoke
> rear. Hence my reservations.
>
> Stan Cox

Worse. 20 back, 16 front.

I have broken spokes on wheels with 28 spokes, but they were cheap-o
wheels from Supergo, so I don't know how the quality compares.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
<snippage>
> [...]

I have a pair of similar wheels - the WH-R540.

I bought them as an experiment as I was quite intrigued with several of
the design elements in these wheels. Quite frankly, I expected to blow
them up in a very short period of time.

I have ridden them fairly hard (I'm 100 kg and known to be less than
gentle with stuff) for several thousand miles now. The bike they are on
usually does not leave the house without heading up hill, so it's not as
if they have been given the roleur treatment. They are as true today as
they were the day I got them;I have not had to true the wheels at all.

It must be noted that I ride on fairly smooth Merkun roads.

I believe these wheels will hold up to everything that a larger rider
can dish out on normal roads.

The variable here will be "What is a 'rough Norwegian road'?"

My opinion would be that if the road is similar to a cobbled surface, an
unpaved hard packed road, or a pot-holed macadam surface, then don't
ride them very far from home.

If you have smooth roads then they'll probably work out for you.

Tom

> It must be noted that I ride on fairly smooth Merkun roads.

^^^^^^^
Where's Sorni when you need him?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] wrote:
> DD wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550
>>> wheels.

>> As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
>> the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle
>> on them.
>> I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
>> cheap to replace.

> Where do these spokes break? Would stress relieving help? I've never
> known broken spokes to be a problem (in the last two decades or so),
> but I don't know these wheels.

One of the things that I notice about customers' Shimano wheelsets with
spoke heads at the rim is that they tend to have rust on the spokes.
Whether this leads to stress corrosion cracking or whatnot, I'm not sure.
I'm also not sure if these spokes are like the ones in the aforementioned
wheelset.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> It must be noted that I ride on fairly smooth Merkun roads.

> ^^^^^^^
> Where's Sorni when you need him?

Eynh?!?

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>>>It must be noted that I ride on fairly smooth Merkun roads.

>>^^^^^^^
>>Where's Sorni when you need him?

> Eynh?!?

Uh, yeah, Phil. I intended no sarcams ® there. I'm just a regular Merkun
who likes Merkun things. You know, smooth roads, Cannondales,
Eisentrauts, Jack Daniels, Gene Daniels, Gene Simmons, Levi 501s, Subway
sandwiches, weak coffee and cold beer....

I don't know about anything else but Merkun stuff. Don't speak French,
haven't traveled abroad. Except for Tijuana. I went there when I was 18
- and that was 32 years ago - and have never gone back. I think I'm
probably still a fugitive from justice down there.

OH, WAIT... I GET IT...

You're thinkin' "merkin", aren'tcha?

Get it, Bill? Smooth and merkin in the same sentence. You missed it; so
did I.

Callow yoot, Phil is.

Tom

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>DD wrote:

>>>As a heavier rider (100kg) and having broken spokes on this model and
>>>the previous I say that selling might be best, unless you are gentle
>>>on them.
>>>I know from breaking the spokes that they aren't
>>>cheap to replace.

>>Where do these spokes break? Would stress relieving help? I've never
>>known broken spokes to be a problem (in the last two decades or so),
>>but I don't know these wheels.

> One of the things that I notice about customers' Shimano wheelsets with
> spoke heads at the rim is that they tend to have rust on the spokes.
> Whether this leads to stress corrosion cracking or whatnot, I'm not sure.
> I'm also not sure if these spokes are like the ones in the aforementioned
> wheelset.

Phil -

Yes, the spokes are apparently not stainless. I have noticed a bit of
corrosion on mine as well. This was a bit of a disappointment to me, but
even living at the beach it has not yet posed a problem.

There was a time when virtually all spokes were carbon steel. They got
kind of grody after a while, but they didn't blow up. Most were
galvanized, some were chromed. The chromed ones sure were pretty...

Are you seeing the 700C version of the wheels, or the 26" wheels?

How many do you see, and whatever you are seeing, how are they holding up?

Tom

Tom Schmitz wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^
>>> Where's Sorni when you need him?

>> Eynh?!?
>>

> Uh, yeah, Phil. I intended no sarcams ® there. I'm just a regular
> Merkun who likes Merkun things. You know, smooth roads, Cannondales,
> Eisentrauts, Jack Daniels, Gene Daniels, Gene Simmons, Levi 501s,
> Subway sandwiches, weak coffee and cold beer....
>
> I don't know about anything else but Merkun stuff. Don't speak French,
> haven't traveled abroad. Except for Tijuana. I went there when I was
> 18 - and that was 32 years ago - and have never gone back. I think I'm
> probably still a fugitive from justice down there.
>
> OH, WAIT... I GET IT...
>
> You're thinkin' "merkin", aren'tcha?
>
> Get it, Bill? Smooth and merkin in the same sentence. You missed it;
> so did I.
>
> Callow yoot, Phil is.

Ya learn somethin' every day.

Bill "notice I didn't say somethin' USEFUL, but..." S.

> The variable here will be "What is a 'rough Norwegian road'?"
>
> My opinion would be that if the road is similar to a cobbled surface, an
> unpaved hard packed road, or a pot-holed macadam surface, then don't
> ride them very far from home.

Rutted and pot-holed macadam is the order of the day. My Tahoe loves
it!

Joseph

Stan Cox wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have come into possession of some new silver Shimano WH-550 wheels. I
> > am looking for a set of training/racing wheels, and when a free set of
> > wheels present themselves, I take them. But the question is are they
> > worth it, even free as they were, for me? I weigh 95kg and ride on some
> > rough-ish roads. If they start breaking spokes, and I get stuck on the
> > side of the road, the hassle makes them worthless to me. Selling them
> > on eBay isn't really an option as I don't have the boxes, and I live in
> > Norway, thousands of kilometers (and at least $85 of dollars in
> > shipping) from most potential buyers.
> >
> > So, should I use them, or get rid of them? I'd like to decide this
> > before I use them.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > Joseph
> >

> I dont understand Shimano making all their wheels with a low spoke
> count. I'd sell them and buy something with a few more spokes.
>
> Stan Cox

Gee Stan, point at anything and ask 'what's that for' and the answer
will be...'for 'selling', of course'. Dern little these days are for
much more than eyewash, marketing, taking market share. Little for just
'riding'. Since clipless pedals, and lever mounted click shifting,
tough to mention much that has the bicycle 'better'.

>> One of the things that I notice about customers' Shimano wheelsets with
>> spoke heads at the rim is that they tend to have rust on the spokes.
>> Whether this leads to stress corrosion cracking or whatnot, I'm not sure.
>> I'm also not sure if these spokes are like the ones in the aforementioned
>> wheelset.
>>

> Phil -
>
> Yes, the spokes are apparently not stainless. I have noticed a bit of
> corrosion on mine as well. This was a bit of a disappointment to me, but
> even living at the beach it has not yet posed a problem.
>
> There was a time when virtually all spokes were carbon steel. They got
> kind of grody after a while, but they didn't blow up. Most were
> galvanized, some were chromed. The chromed ones sure were pretty...
>
> Are you seeing the 700C version of the wheels, or the 26" wheels?
>
> How many do you see, and whatever you are seeing, how are they holding up?

So far probably about 4 wheels (700c) I've examined personally. All have
held up very well and trued up nicely, and the one with the broken spoke was
ridden by a ~200lb rider who may not be the smoothest over potholes, etc.

I haven't see any of the 26" wheels except for the XTRs and haven't examined
them closely.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
<snippage>

>>Are you seeing the 700C version of the wheels, or the 26" wheels?
>>
>>How many do you see, and whatever you are seeing, how are they holding up?

> So far probably about 4 wheels (700c) I've examined personally. All have
> held up very well and trued up nicely, and the one with the broken spoke was
> ridden by a ~200lb rider who may not be the smoothest over potholes, etc.
>
> I haven't see any of the 26" wheels except for the XTRs and haven't examined
> them closely.

Thanks Phil. Pretty well mirrors my experience.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Schmitz wrote:
> Uh, yeah, Phil. I intended no sarcams ® there. I'm just a regular Merkun
> who likes Merkun things. You know, smooth roads, Cannondales,
> Eisentrauts, Jack Daniels, Gene Daniels....

Gene Daniels' creative misuse of the English language is brilliant!

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
President - G. Daniels Fan Club

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> Tom Schmitz wrote:

>>Uh, yeah, Phil. I intended no sarcams ® there. I'm just a regular Merkun
>>who likes Merkun things. You know, smooth roads, Cannondales,
>>Eisentrauts, Jack Daniels, Gene Daniels....

> Gene Daniels' creative misuse of the English language is brilliant!

Creative I agree with. But misuse? No. There is a zen experience...

Tom