Shimano WH-R540 alternatives?

TheQuicksilver

Jan 25, 2008
So, I really like the WH-R540 wheelset from Shimano. The problem is, they don't make it anymore, and eBay isn't of much help. I'm wondering, is anyone making a similar wheelset in the same price range?

Image for reference:
WHEL-951.jpg

TheQuicksilver said:
So, I really like the WH-R540 wheelset from Shimano. The problem is, they don't make it anymore, and eBay isn't of much help. I'm wondering, is anyone making a similar wheelset in the same price range?

Image for reference:
WHEL-951.jpg
Velocity Spartacus Pro Wheelset
I can get them for you if you Local Bicycle shops can't.
Shipping is expensive... $40 depending on distand and carrier.

TheQuicksilver said:

Image for reference:
WHEL-951.jpg

What is it you like about it..The paired spoke 'look'?
If not, I can design a wheelset based around a shimano hubset that will work for ya.

I am definitely a fan of the minimalist, paired spoke design. I'm a pretty small guy, so weight support isn't an issue.

TheQuicksilver said:
I am definitely a fan of the minimalist, paired spoke design. I'm a pretty small guy, so weight support isn't an issue.

Just to get it out in the open, paired spokes are an answer to a not asked question. The design is no stronger that equally spaced spokes and the criss-cross is marketing 101.

shimano hubs, 24 2 cross front, 28 3 cross rear, Revs in the front, 1/2 revs in the rear, Velocity AH rims. Not the coffee shop panache of the shimano wheels but as light(or lighter, the shimano's aren't very light), more reliable(no shimano spokes left).

The paired spokes are potentially dangerous, as they offer a much higher chance of wedging in the brake or the frame than does a conventional midline spoke. I wouldn't be using them.

Okay, let me revise the parameters based on your suggestions.

What about a wheelset >$150 used (I'm a big fan of 2nd hand), bladed spokes, good for touring rides (I do not race, just like distance), weight not a big factor, to replace a set of Mavic XP21 rims and Ultegra hubs.

Peter@vecchios said:
Just to get it out in the open, paired spokes are an answer to a not asked question. The design is no stronger that equally spaced spokes and the criss-cross is marketing 101.

shimano hubs, 24 2 cross front, 28 3 cross rear, Revs in the front, 1/2 revs in the rear, Velocity AH rims. Not the coffee shop panache of the shimano wheels but as light(or lighter, the shimano's aren't very light), more reliable(no shimano spokes left).
Wow - an unasked question, guess the market is not asking for a lighter faster wheel. Paired spokes allows the wheels to be built with less spokes making it lighter, more areo and creating then a faster wheel

TheQuicksilver said:
Okay, let me revise the parameters based on your suggestions.

What about a wheelset >$150 used (I'm a big fan of 2nd hand), bladed spokes, good for touring rides (I do not race, just like distance), weight not a big factor, to replace a set of Mavic XP21 rims and Ultegra hubs.
Why don't you just post the request in your local Craig's List? I wouldn't recommend your buying something used without seeing it first, even from a contact on this forum. To buy something new from "daveornee" an LBS dealer would be ok (good reputation). Be careful, you might save a lot but get nothing in exchange.

Ne2cyc said:
Wow - an unasked question, guess the market is not asking for a lighter faster wheel. Paired spokes allows the wheels to be built with less spokes making it lighter, more areo and creating then a faster wheel
I agree with Peter on this one. Paired spoke design is no stronger or stiffer than equal number of standard configuration spokes. Paired spoke design call for "propietary" usually hader to find and usually higher priced rims.
I don't agree that "Paired spokes allows the wheels to be built with less spokes".... for the same strength, durability, and stiffness.

Ne2cyc said:

NOT gonna wrestle here but this wheel is not 'light' at all and wheels have been built with 18 spokes or less w/o paired design for decades.

If ya like the paired spoke thing, by all means, get 'em but they are not revolutionary in any way but looks.

Ne2cyc said:

Just for info-1880 grams..even a 105 hubset/OpenPro/14/15 32 spokes, brass nipples is 200 grams lighter

Peter@vecchios said:
NOT gonna wrestle here but this wheel is not 'light' at all and wheels have been built with 18 spokes or less w/o paired design for decades.

If ya like the paired spoke thing, by all means, get 'em but they are not revolutionary in any way but looks.
The other "revoulionary" thing about paired spoke wheels that *artemidorus* already pointed out in an earlier post: the increased risk of wedging something (like a stick or other road hazard) against the stays/fork because of the increased gaps betweeen spokes.

User reviews on this wheelset are not very encouraging. There are definitely better wheels around at a similar price.

Ne2cyc said:
It's not built with fewer spokes. The spokes are not bladed. The unsupported segments of rim are longer, so that the rim needs to be heavier.
So you've lost me - exactly what about the 540 makes it lighter, faster or more aerodynamic? At best, it's a mediocre entry level wheel. At worst, it's a dangerous gimmick.