Shimano WH-R540 Right Rear Spoke Needed

Wort

Guest
Hi,

I broke a spoke on my Shimano WH-R540 rear wheel, after 1 1/2 years
and maybe 5,000 K.

My local bike shop is having a struggle finding a replacement.

Does anyone mail order these parts to Canada?

Regards

Wayne

Wort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I broke a spoke on my Shimano WH-R540 rear wheel, after 1 1/2 years
> and maybe 5,000 K.
>
> My local bike shop is having a struggle finding a replacement.
>
> Does anyone mail order these parts to Canada?
>
> Regards
>
> Wayne

as a temporary fix, use a normal spoke. can't recall the length, but
they work just fine as it's a normal spoke design, just inverted. then
order a bladed replacement. bike shop should be able to help [unless
they want to sell you a new wheel] or look online.

jim beam wrote:
> Wort wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I broke a spoke on my Shimano WH-R540 rear wheel, after 1 1/2 years
>> and maybe 5,000 K.
>>
>> My local bike shop is having a struggle finding a replacement.
>>
>> Does anyone mail order these parts to Canada?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Wayne

> as a temporary fix, use a normal spoke. can't recall the length, but
> they work just fine as it's a normal spoke design, just inverted. then
> order a bladed replacement. bike shop should be able to help [unless
> they want to sell you a new wheel] or look online.

forgot to mention, last time i looked, shimano oem bladed spokes were
made by sapim. no need to try buying a "shimano spoke".

jim beam wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Wort wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I broke a spoke on my Shimano WH-R540 rear wheel, after 1 1/2 years
>>> and maybe 5,000 K.
>>>
>>> My local bike shop is having a struggle finding a replacement.
>>>
>>> Does anyone mail order these parts to Canada?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> as a temporary fix, use a normal spoke. can't recall the length, but
>> they work just fine as it's a normal spoke design, just inverted. then
>> order a bladed replacement. bike shop should be able to help
>> [unless they want to sell you a new wheel] or look online.
>>

> forgot to mention, last time i looked, shimano oem bladed spokes were
> made by sapim. no need to try buying a "shimano spoke".

The "head" of the shimano spoke is huge, due to the aluminum washer. Can
these washers be taken off to be adapted to a new spoke?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:15:58 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> as a temporary fix, use a normal spoke. can't recall the length, but
>>> they work just fine as it's a normal spoke design, just inverted. then
>>> order a bladed replacement. bike shop should be able to help
>>> [unless they want to sell you a new wheel] or look online.
>>>

>> forgot to mention, last time i looked, shimano oem bladed spokes were
>> made by sapim. no need to try buying a "shimano spoke".

>The "head" of the shimano spoke is huge, due to the aluminum washer. Can
>these washers be taken off to be adapted to a new spoke?

Shimano's exploded view is here:
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/WH-R540-R.pdf

It shows the length to be 278mm for the right spoke and 294 for the
left (item numbers 21 and 23). They come with the washers, but it's
not clear if they're removable. Some Shimano spoke washers are, some
aren't.

The nipple thread is "BC 2 (-- 14)" which isn't familiar notation to
me but sounds like it takes a normal 2.0mm (14 gauge) spoke.

I'd guess it may be the unusually short length the shop is stumbling
over.

dianne_1234 wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:15:58 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> forgot to mention, last time i looked, shimano oem bladed spokes
>>> were made by sapim. no need to try buying a "shimano spoke".

>> The "head" of the shimano spoke is huge, due to the aluminum washer.
>> Can these washers be taken off to be adapted to a new spoke?

> Shimano's exploded view is here:
> http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/WH-R540-R.pdf
>
> It shows the length to be 278mm for the right spoke and 294 for the
> left (item numbers 21 and 23). They come with the washers, but it's
> not clear if they're removable. Some Shimano spoke washers are, some
> aren't.
>
> The nipple thread is "BC 2 (-- 14)" which isn't familiar notation to
> me but sounds like it takes a normal 2.0mm (14 gauge) spoke.
>
> I'd guess it may be the unusually short length the shop is stumbling
> over.

The nipples are quite a bit larger than normal ones. We have in stock
Shimano spokes and did a crash replacement recently. The rims work well.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:54:38 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dianne_1234 wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:15:58 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> The "head" of the shimano spoke is huge, due to the aluminum washer.
>>> Can these washers be taken off to be adapted to a new spoke?

>> Shimano's exploded view is here:
>> http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/WH-R540-R.pdf
>>
>> It shows the length to be 278mm for the right spoke and 294 for the
>> left (item numbers 21 and 23). They come with the washers, but it's
>> not clear if they're removable. Some Shimano spoke washers are, some
>> aren't.
>>
>> The nipple thread is "BC 2 (-- 14)" which isn't familiar notation to
>> me but sounds like it takes a normal 2.0mm (14 gauge) spoke.
>>
>> I'd guess it may be the unusually short length the shop is stumbling
>> over.

>The nipples are quite a bit larger than normal ones. We have in stock
>Shimano spokes and did a crash replacement recently. The rims work well.

Phil,

Can I order a spoke or two from you? How would I go about placing an
order?

Regards

Wayne