Shimano WH-RS10 Spokes

Fergie13

Apr 28, 2013
Hey guys and gals, I'm running low on my stock of spare spokes for my Shimano WH-RS10 wheels, and would like to order a few more. The problem is that it's becoming rare to find RS10 spokes, but I can find plenty of RS20 spoke and nipple sets. Does anyone know if the RS20 spokes will work with my rims? And yes, I usually snap at least 2 spokes a season. I hate these wheels, and plan on building a new set one of these days, but for now it's cheaper to spend $9-12 on a handful of spokes, than to purchase a new wheel set for $500-$800.

Fergie13 said:
Hey guys and gals, I'm running low on my stock of spare spokes for my Shimano WH-RS10 wheels, and would like to order a few more. The problem is that it's becoming rare to find RS10 spokes, but I can find plenty of RS20 spoke and nipple sets. Does anyone know if the RS20 spokes will work with my rims? And yes, I usually snap at least 2 spokes a season. I hate these wheels, and plan on building a new set one of these days, but for now it's cheaper to spend $9-12 on a handful of spokes, than to purchase a new wheel set for $500-$800.
Have you tried eBay?

Originally Posted by Fergie13 .

Hey guys and gals, I'm running low on my stock of spare spokes for my Shimano WH-RS10 wheels, and would like to order a few more. The problem is that it's becoming rare to find RS10 spokes, but I can find plenty of RS20 spoke and nipple sets. Does anyone know if the RS20 spokes will work with my rims?

And yes, I usually snap at least 2 spokes a season. I hate these wheels, and plan on building a new set one of these days, but for now it's cheaper to spend $9-12 on a handful of spokes, than to purchase a new wheel set for $500-$800.
FWIW. Although I am amongst a very limited number of people who apparently feel that lateral stiffness in a bicycle wheel matters, due to your spoke breakage I suggest that you strongly consider following my recommendation to substitute the bladed (1.7mm) "Shimano" spokes with some comparatively generic, straight 14g (2.0mm) DT spokes ...

The next time you break a spoke, just have the entire wheel re-laced, accordingly ...

• BTW. I hope that you (or, your ¿wheelbuilder?) have been detensioning the OTHER spokes in the rear wheel prior to replacing the broken spokes ... not doing so creates an imbalance which may ensure another failure sooner-rather-than-later ...

Originally Posted by Fergie13 .

Hey guys and gals, I'm running low on my stock of spare spokes for my Shimano WH-RS10 wheels, and would like to order a few more. The problem is that it's becoming rare to find RS10 spokes, but I can find plenty of RS20 spoke and nipple sets. Does anyone know if the RS20 spokes will work with my rims?

And yes, I usually snap at least 2 spokes a season. I hate these wheels, and plan on building a new set one of these days, but for now it's cheaper to spend $9-12 on a handful of spokes, than to purchase a new wheel set for $500-$800.
It's not normal to break spokes on any wheels. Don't know how many miles you've got on the wheels, but it sounds like they have reached the end of their useful life. If they didn't last long enough, it could be because they weren't carefully built, or they were just not designed for your application. I'd buy a new wheelset that's more durable rather than mess around replacing spokes all the time.

"Although I am amongst a very limited number of people who apparently feel that lateral stiffness in a bicycle wheel matters..."

Right behind you, Alf, right behind you! Yeah, it matters to me also.

Fergie, you might try dialing up Shimano North America @ (949) 951-5003

I found several English bike shops online that had 302 MM rear RS 10 spokes in stockm but at 3 Pounds Sterling per + shipping.

Camp...yeah, I've found those too, and might end up going that route, but thought I would try to buy "local" first. I usually fly over to the UK once or twice a year, so maybe ill stock up next time I'm over. Alf...I haven't been loosening all of my spokes, and then retenssioning all of them together. This is something I will try next time, or on the next rainy day. I'll also look into the generic 2mm spokes you mentioned. I figure these blade spokes are just a gimmick by shimano. Dhk2...I have about 3500 miles on these wheels, and would love to buy a new set of wheels, but don't have the cash to do so. It's the next item on my list to get, although I'd also like to get a new 29er mountain bike, so...

So last Wednesday I snapped a rear spoke. Luckily I was only two miles away from home, coming back from my ride, so I still got a workout in. I ended up buying a new set of DT Swiss 302x2 mm straight pull spokes, and Al Wheelsmith nipples. I laced them in tonight, and trued the wheel on my new Park Tools truing/dish stand, was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I didn't officially "build" my wheel, but I just laced in one spoke at a time so I didn't mess up the pattern. Took me about four hours total, and I got the wheel with in 1mm runout both laterally and radially, and an even dish within 1mm. I was tempted to use my guitar tuner to measure the frequency when plucked, but I'm tired and need my sleep. Thanks for all your advice guys.

Fergie im with the same problem.
Can you tell me where did you found those spokes?