Shimano WH RS10 Wheelset

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Howdy,

I am going to be purchasing a 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp that is equipped with Shimano WH RS10 wheels. I don't know anything about these wheels except for a few reviews (complaints) that I have read on the internet. The complaints amount to a handful of people who are dissatisfied with the strength of the spokes and their tendency to break under heavier riders. Guess what . . . . I'm a heavier rider. I'm 6' 3" and weigh about 225 pounds. Let's face it, I'm more of a football player build than a Lance or Levi build. I'm going to give the stock wheels a go but should I be looking for something stronger or will these wheels be okay as long as they are well maintained? For what it's worth, I do plan to change the wheels out at some point in the future and, if at all possible, would like to stick with some make of Shimano - suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

rosborn said:
Howdy,

I am going to be purchasing a 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp that is equipped with Shimano WH RS10 wheels. I don't know anything about these wheels except for a few reviews (complaints) that I have read on the internet. The complaints amount to a handful of people who are dissatisfied with the strength of the spokes and their tendency to break under heavier riders. Guess what . . . . I'm a heavier rider. I'm 6' 3" and weigh about 225 pounds. Let's face it, I'm more of a football player build than a Lance or Levi build. I'm going to give the stock wheels a go but should I be looking for something stronger or will these wheels be okay as long as they are well maintained? For what it's worth, I do plan to change the wheels out at some point in the future and, if at all possible, would like to stick with some make of Shimano - suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

I would ask the bike shop to swap for some wheels that are more appropriate to you and your riding style. These are not well suited for you at all.

Peter@vecchios said:
I would ask the bike shop to swap for some wheels that are more appropriate to you and your riding style. These are not well suited for you at all.
Any suggestions as to what would be better?

rosborn said:
Any suggestions as to what would be better?

Do they have a wheelbuilder there?
shimano hubs, Ultegra or 105, Mavic CXP-33 rims, laced 36 hole-3 cross, double butted spokes.

These will be marginally heavier than the ones that come on the bike, maybe 200 grams but remember, that's about 1/2 pound on your about 245 some pound riding 'package'. If made well, they won't be stranding you. AND for those that say 32 hole is 'adequate', perhaps but 4 spokes weigh 28 grams per wheel but a 36 h wheel is more reliable. Do 32h for the front if ya gotta, 36h for the rear.

When I started riding -- weighing north of 250 -- I was on CXP-33s on Campy hubs. Bullet proof. Excellent choice. I put almost 8000 miles on those wheels with no broken spokes and no need to true them.

jim