Shimano Wireless on Rear Wheel

Will a Shimano wireless sensor (SM-6501) work on the rear wheel of my
bike? I have a wired sensor now, but that only reaches the front wheel
and I want to use the computer for my stationary trainer. (I actually
have a 2nd computer mounted, but I'd like to remove that one.)

Thanks.

--
Daniel Norton

None wrote:
> Why does Shimano make it so difficult to provide what seems to me to

be
> such a basic capability!?

Just a guess but I imagine that on these wireless units they have to
worry about having a larger transmission distance because otherwise
there will be crossed signals in any pack and all the info will be
useless.
Same thing happens with HR monitors.

None wrote:
> No, it doesn't work. I attached the rear sensor/transmitter at the top
> of the rear fork and attached the magnet to a spoke. I then moved the
> computer (mounted in the receiver bracket) towards and away from the
> transmitter and found the that it's about a foot (30 cm) short.
>
> Why does Shimano make it so difficult to provide what seems to me to be
> such a basic capability!?
>
> --
> Daniel Norton

Transmitting a stronger signal means more power sucked out of the
battery and that means shorter battery life. It also increases the
liklihood of erroneous readings from/to nearby riders. I doubt
anybody's wireless computer will do what you want, so picking on Shimano
is kind of pointless.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

I'm picking on Shimano because they provide no method of using the rear
wheel for sensing speed. This is a fundamental flaw with the Flight
Deck. I regret ever having purchased it. Hopefully this thread will
help others avoid making the same mistake.
--
Daniel Norton