Shimano XT driveset gripe

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by angotja, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. angotja

    angotja New Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put close to 500 miles on them, and they have started creaking. This is obnoxious.

    Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need replacement in a couple of weeks.

    I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette. Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).

    I feel this is a very short life for this equipment. I should not have to replace this stuff so rapidly! Shimano has yet to earn my allegiance as a customer...at this rate, they certainly won't...unless my crankset is defective and is replaced by a solid, durable one. I am certainly not going to stick with their line.

    Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I want to see what others have to say...any recommendations for specific products (comparable in price & performance concept of the XT line)? Are there compatability issues to the extent that I must totally throw Shimano by the wayside? I have never tried any other line of products, and I am looking for any excuse to do so...

    I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability, performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price I pay to ride.

    **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**

    I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos. I should get what I pay for, and since I paid a lot, I should get a lot. I try to give the manufacturer the opportunity to correct their problems. If they are able to do so, I won't discontinue usage.

    I appreciate input and constructive criticism.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:15:21 GMT, angotja
    <[email protected]> blathered:

    >It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put close
    >to 500 miles on them, and they have started creaking. This
    >is obnoxious.
    >
    >Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    >replacement in a couple of weeks.

    Nope, it needed replacing a couple of weeks ago - say hello
    to a complete new drivetrain!

    >Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I
    >want to see what others have to say...any recommendations
    >for specific products (comparable in price & performance
    >concept of the XT line)?

    There is nothing wrong with XT cranks - very good piece of
    kit. As far as the consumables - Middleburn rings & SRAM
    chains/cassettes, but sorry, they don't meet your criteria
    as they are cheaper than Shimano stuff and last longer.

    Pete Jones

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "angotja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put
    > close to 500 miles on them, and they have started
    > creaking. This is obnoxious.

    Probably not. The crank/BB interface is most likely
    dirty/loose and requires removal, cleaning and refitting.

    > Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    > replacement in a couple of weeks.

    Yes, that happens.

    > I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette.
    > Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than
    > downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).

    You are aware that cables need to be adjusted and lubricated
    on a regular basis?

    <snipped for brevity>

    > I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability,
    > performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price
    > I pay to ride.

    XT offers all these things.

    > **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**
    >
    > I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all
    > experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address
    > our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been
    > doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care
    > to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos.

    That's a shame. You seem to be under the impression that a
    mountain bike is like a car, requiring only periodic
    servicing to keep it sweet. This is not true. With the
    exception of the chain (which should be considered a
    consumable item irrespective of brand), 500 miles is very
    little mileage and I seriously doubt that any of the other
    components are actually worn out.

    All the symptoms you describe point to a bike that needs
    cleaning, lubrication and adjustment, and without these
    any equipment will be as crappy as you evidently think XT
    is. Have you actually had any maintainance done since the
    bike was new? Have the control cables been cleaned and
    adjusted recently?

    If you want a bike you don't have to maintain, I recommend
    you go out and buy a rigid steel singlespeed bike with an
    oil bath chaincase and drum brakes. If you don't want one of
    these, then you need to accept that bike maintainance
    happens and that you either need to pay a good spannerman
    regularly or roll your sleeves up (www.sheldonbrown.com is a
    good place to start).

    Curb the ranting consumer angle and get educated. You'll be
    a lot happier.

    Andy Chequer.

  4. Muskie

    Muskie Guest

    I just upgraded to all XT components. The model that I got
    was last years, 2003. I have read in many, many reviews of
    the XT cranks that they do start creaking as time goes on.
    This seems to be a problem with their last year model (M-
    750, I think). This is due to the fact that the spider is
    part of the crank arm. Notice that this year's model, has
    remedied this problem and they have integrated the crank arm
    and the spider - as it should be.

    Mine hasn't started creaking yet, but I'm just waiting.

    - Noel

    angotja wrote:

    > It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put
    > close to 500 miles on them, and they have started
    > creaking. This is obnoxious.
    >
    > Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    > replacement in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette.
    > Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than
    > downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).
    >
    > I feel this is a very short life for this equipment. I
    > should not have to replace this stuff so rapidly! Shimano
    > has yet to earn my allegiance as a customer...at this
    > rate, they certainly won't...unless my crankset is
    > defective and is replaced by a solid, durable one. I am
    > certainly not going to stick with their line.
    >
    > Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I
    > want to see what others have to say...any recommendations
    > for specific products (comparable in price & performance
    > concept of the XT line)? Are there compatability issues to
    > the extent that I must totally throw Shimano by the
    > wayside? I have never tried any other line of products,
    > and I am looking for any excuse to do so...
    >
    > I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability,
    > performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price
    > I pay to ride.
    >
    > **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**
    >
    > I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all
    > experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address
    > our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been
    > doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care
    > to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos. I should
    > get what I pay for, and since I paid a lot, I should get a
    > lot. I try to give the manufacturer the opportunity to
    > correct their problems. If they are able to do so, I won't
    > discontinue usage.
    >
    > I appreciate input and constructive criticism.
    >

    > --

  5. Muskie

    Muskie Guest

    I just upgraded to all XT components. The model that I got
    was last years, 2003. I have read in many, many reviews of
    the XT cranks that they do start creaking as time goes on.
    This seems to be a problem with their last year model (M-
    752, I think). This is due to the fact that the spider is
    part of the crank arm. Notice that this year's model, has
    remedied this problem and they have integrated the crank arm
    and the spider - as it should be.

    Also, I've heard that the middle ring on this crank isn't
    very good either. I don't know if they've fixed that for
    2004 or not.

    angotja wrote:

    > It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put
    > close to 500 miles on them, and they have started
    > creaking. This is obnoxious.
    >
    > Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    > replacement in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette.
    > Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than
    > downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).
    >
    > I feel this is a very short life for this equipment. I
    > should not have to replace this stuff so rapidly! Shimano
    > has yet to earn my allegiance as a customer...at this
    > rate, they certainly won't...unless my crankset is
    > defective and is replaced by a solid, durable one. I am
    > certainly not going to stick with their line.
    >
    > Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I
    > want to see what others have to say...any recommendations
    > for specific products (comparable in price & performance
    > concept of the XT line)? Are there compatability issues to
    > the extent that I must totally throw Shimano by the
    > wayside? I have never tried any other line of products,
    > and I am looking for any excuse to do so...
    >
    > I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability,
    > performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price
    > I pay to ride.
    >
    > **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**
    >
    > I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all
    > experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address
    > our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been
    > doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care
    > to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos. I should
    > get what I pay for, and since I paid a lot, I should get a
    > lot. I try to give the manufacturer the opportunity to
    > correct their problems. If they are able to do so, I won't
    > discontinue usage.
    >
    > I appreciate input and constructive criticism.
    >

    > --

  6. Jonesy

    Jonesy Guest

    angotja <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put
    > close to 500 miles on them, and they have started
    > creaking. This is obnoxious.

    Disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble. Torque to proper
    specifications. This includes the BB. Inspect BB shell and
    associated welds for cracks. If it still creaks, you're
    probably right. About the failure, that is.

    > Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    > replacement in a couple of weeks.

    Actually, it's past time. Hopefully, your cassette and
    chainrings are still servicable.

    > I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette.
    > Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than
    > downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).

    When was the last time you maintained the cabling system?
    Have you tried to adjust the RD to shift properly?

    > I feel this is a very short life for this equipment.

    It depends on what is really wrong, and what is simply out
    of adjustment.

    > I should not have to replace this stuff so rapidly!

    I'll bet not all of it is worn out.

    > Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I
    > want to see what others have to say...any recommendations
    > for specific products (comparable in price & performance
    > concept of the XT line)? Are there compatability issues to
    > the extent that I must totally throw Shimano by the
    > wayside? I have never tried any other line of products,
    > and I am looking for any excuse to do so...

    Well, it's hard to beat the price/performance ratio of
    Shimano. But those guys will be different, if you have the
    money to rplace it all.

    > I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability,
    > performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price
    > I pay to ride.

    My XT gear has been pretty good so far. But I set it up
    carefully to start with, and maintain it properly. If you
    slap it on, and never do anything else to it, pretty soon
    life will suck.

    > **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**
    >
    > I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all
    > experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address
    > our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been
    > doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care
    > to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos. I should
    > get what I pay for, and since I paid a lot, I should get a
    > lot. I try to give the manufacturer the opportunity to
    > correct their problems. If they are able to do so, I won't
    > discontinue usage.
    >
    > I appreciate input and constructive criticism.

    If it is indeed actual equipment failure, I would tend to
    agree with your commentary. But if it is lack of proper set-
    up and maintenace on your part, it's not Shimano's fault.
    You can change out the who lot of it, and have problems in
    500 miles with non-Shimano gear, if you just slap it on and
    don't do anything else.

    There's not enough info to draw a conclusion, I'm afraid.
    --
    Jonesy

  7. Muskie

    Muskie Guest

    I just upgraded to all XT components. The model that I got
    was last years, 2003. I have read in many, many reviews of
    the XT cranks that they do start creaking as time goes on.
    This seems to be a problem with their last year model (M-
    752, I think). This is due to the fact that the spider is
    not part of the crank arm. Notice that this year's model,

    angotja wrote:
    > It looks like my crankset might fail soon. I have put
    > close to 500 miles on them, and they have started
    > creaking. This is obnoxious.
    >
    > Apparently, my chain has stretched to .75%. It will need
    > replacement in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > I am unable to achieve surefire shifting on the cassette.
    > Upshifts & downshifts skip gears. Upshifts are worse than
    > downshifts (higher instance of disengagement).
    >
    > I feel this is a very short life for this equipment. I
    > should not have to replace this stuff so rapidly! Shimano
    > has yet to earn my allegiance as a customer...at this
    > rate, they certainly won't...unless my crankset is
    > defective and is replaced by a solid, durable one. I am
    > certainly not going to stick with their line.
    >
    > Truvativ and Race Face seem like excellent alternatives. I
    > want to see what others have to say...any recommendations
    > for specific products (comparable in price & performance
    > concept of the XT line)? Are there compatability issues to
    > the extent that I must totally throw Shimano by the
    > wayside? I have never tried any other line of products,
    > and I am looking for any excuse to do so...
    >
    > I want --this is intuitive-- durability, reliability,
    > performance and value. I expect nothing less for the price
    > I pay to ride.
    >
    > **unnecessary pre-emptive rebuttal**
    >
    > I understand this is not a perfect world, and we all
    > experience difficulty. I expect manufacturers to address
    > our needs and improve their products (Shimano has been
    > doing this too long to give me poor pruduct). I don't care
    > to see any proposed criticism of my basic ethos. I should
    > get what I pay for, and since I paid a lot, I should get a
    > lot. I try to give the manufacturer the opportunity to
    > correct their problems. If they are able to do so, I won't
    > discontinue usage.
    >
    > I appreciate input and constructive criticism.
    >

    > --

  8. angotja

    angotja New Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    I did a major servicing of cassette, chain, and cables. After having removed some built-up gunk from the chain and cassette, I noticed improved performance. My cables really needed little adjustment.

    I hooked up the servicing last night, and rode 25 mi today (so far), and so far so good. Performance is satisfactory, but crank still creaks (less than before), and gears still slip (less frequently than before).

    I am changing my service interval from once every 200 mi to once every 75-100 mi. Apparently this equipment needs more TLC than I expected! Maybe it is more wise to service after every ride?

  9. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "angotja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I did a major servicing of cassette, chain, and cables.
    > After having removed some built-up gunk from the chain and
    > cassette, I noticed improved performance. My cables really
    > needed little adjustment.
    >
    > I hooked up the servicing last night, and rode 25 mi today
    > (so far), and so far so good. Performance is satisfactory,
    > but crank still creaks (less than before), and gears still
    > slip (less frequently than before).
    >
    > I am changing my service interval from once every 200 mi
    > to once every 75-100 mi. Apparently this equipment needs
    > more TLC than I expected! Maybe it is more wise to service
    > after every ride?

    I've been real lazy about service to my bike, but during
    racing season I give everything a quick once over anytime
    anything feels off, and always right before the weekly
    races. I haven't serviced my drivetrain in probably the last
    400 miles or so - but besides it sounding pretty dry, its
    working great. Mostly XT components, raceface turbine LP
    crankset, WTB Laserdisc Lite hub. I'm personally amazed i'm
    still able to shift! Of course, I did build the entire bike
    by hand myself - and during the first couple months of heavy
    use last summer I tore the bike down and rebuilt it
    (bb/cassette/crankset all pulled and cleaned, derailleurs
    given a thorough once over, cables checked and once changed)
    about 3 times, then threw it all back together again myself.
    Granted I worked at a shop, so I had access to everything I
    needed. You tend to take a little more care (and a lot more
    time) when its YOU working on your bike, and not just some
    random mechanic in a shop doing the "standard tuneup"! Bonus
    - we did it when business was slow and the boss wasn't
    there, so I got paid to do it :)

    Jon Bond