Shimano XT front derailluer mounting problems.

Marty

Guest
Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and found
that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?

Marty

Marty <[email protected]> wrote in news:43dc2bb6$1_2
@news.peopletelecom.com.au:

> Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and found
> that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
> interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
> derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?
>
> Marty

You need the M-760, a top-swing type. They were created to avoid exactly
that problem as sloping top tubes shortened seat tubes.

Before top-swing FDs, frame designers would at least have the decency to
put the braze-ons in spots that the clamp could go between...

Marty wrote:
> Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and found
> that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
> interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
> derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?
>
> Marty

you can solve this by spacing out the bottle cage. presta nuts make
good spacers for this. if you have to use a lot of them, it starts
getting stupid however.

Marty wrote:

> Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and found
> that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
> interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
> derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?

Many and various front changers do indeed have varied clamp
position relative to the chainring. That is just one aspect
of selecting a front changer-
Mount - braze or one of three diameters
Cable from top or bottom
Inner cage for double, compact, 1/2step triple, alpine triple
Outer cage shape for micro, mid or full size rings
and if you use front index, it needs to be compatible with
the appropriate Shimano cable travel too!

How do we 'solve' it? By keeping well over 200 front
changers in stock, both current and recent besides vintage.

Oh, and classic era cranks are tight between outer ring and
crank arm so only a thin cage plate will fit!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Nate Knutson wrote:
> Marty wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and found
>>that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
>>interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
>>derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?
>>
>>Marty

> you can solve this by spacing out the bottle cage. presta nuts make
> good spacers for this. if you have to use a lot of them, it starts
> getting stupid however.

Trouble is the mounting band falls right on top of one of the holes,
otherwise a good idea.

Marty

A Muzi wrote:
> Marty wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I was installing the new XT Front derailluer M-761 and
>> found that the mounting band sits much higher than the old model and
>> interferes with the water bottle cage mount. In the end I put the old
>> derailler back on. Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve
>> it?

> Many and various front changers do indeed have varied clamp
> position relative to the chainring. That is just one aspect
> of selecting a front changer-
> Mount - braze or one of three diameters

You forgot E-type.

> Cable from top or bottom

A lot of them are dual-pull these days. A totally awesome idea.

> Inner cage for double, compact, 1/2step triple, alpine triple
> Outer cage shape for micro, mid or full size rings
> and if you use front index, it needs to be compatible with
> the appropriate Shimano cable travel too!
>
> How do we 'solve' it? By keeping well over 200 front
> changers in stock, both current and recent besides vintage.

Wow, that's some good stock? We keep about 8 in stock.

> Oh, and classic era cranks are tight between outer ring and
> crank arm so only a thin cage plate will fit!

Thank goodness we don't end up with classic bikes too often then.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Andrew, are there any compatible 1/2 step + granny fr. derailers
available now? (Feb 2006) I was under the impression that they were no
longer being made. With 8; 9; &10 spds, I doubt that I'll ever use
half step + granny, again, but it would good to know I could if I
needed to.

200 WOW! That's impressive. What must Performance have? 4?
If I ever need an obscure fr. der. I know who to call.

Thanks, John