Shimano XT shifters/levers - ST-M737

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Sid Tripp, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Sid Tripp

    Sid Tripp Guest

    Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low price,
    but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone knows the
    answer to this question, please let me know.

    Thank you! Steve [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
    > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
    > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.

    That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > "Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
    > > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
    > > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
    >
    > That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    IIRC, V brakes came out in 1996. So. Um.....

    Also IIRC, the XT levers that didnt work with V brakes said "SLR" on them fairly prominently. If
    this helps.

    Though if you can be arsed the answer may be in here somewhere

    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

    Andy Chequer

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > "Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
    | > > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
    | > > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
    | >
    | > That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.
    | >
    | > - CA-G
    | >
    | > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
    |
    | IIRC, V brakes came out in 1996. So. Um.....
    |
    | Also IIRC, the XT levers that didnt work with V brakes said "SLR" on them fairly prominently. If
    | this helps.
    |
    | Though if you can be arsed the answer may be in here somewhere
    |
    | http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

    One way to tell is comparing the distance of the pivot to the cable attachment. On V brakes, the
    pivot is much further away.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 3/25/2003

  5. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    [email protected] (Sid Tripp) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
    > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
    > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
    >
    > Thank you! Steve [email protected]

    ST-M737 are not V compatible. They are M-system shift/brake lever.

    While the rest of the 737 (XT) line remained relatively unchanged for 1996, the ST-M737 was replaced
    in 1996 by the ST-M739. The ST-M739 was 8sp, and was itself replaced by the ST-M750 (9sp
    V-compatible).

    Reco

    (I can give citations if anyone cares)