Shimano XT shifters/levers - ST-M737

Sid Tripp

Guest
Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low price,
but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone knows the
answer to this question, please let me know.

Thank you! Steve [email protected]

"Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
> price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
> knows the answer to this question, please let me know.

That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

> "Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
> > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
> > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
>
> That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

IIRC, V brakes came out in 1996. So. Um.....

Also IIRC, the XT levers that didnt work with V brakes said "SLR" on them fairly prominently. If
this helps.

Though if you can be arsed the answer may be in here somewhere

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > "Sid Tripp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > > Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
| > > price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
| > > knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
| >
| > That model was made from 1994-1998. You should have no problem using v's with them.
| >
| > - CA-G
| >
| > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
|
| IIRC, V brakes came out in 1996. So. Um.....
|
| Also IIRC, the XT levers that didnt work with V brakes said "SLR" on them fairly prominently. If
| this helps.
|
| Though if you can be arsed the answer may be in here somewhere
|
| http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

One way to tell is comparing the distance of the pivot to the cable attachment. On V brakes, the
pivot is much further away.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 3/25/2003

[email protected] (Sid Tripp) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello, I am looking at picking up a set of Shimano XT shifters/levers (ST-M737)at a nice low
> price, but the guy selling them doesn't know if they are v-brake compatible or not. If anyone
> knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
>
> Thank you! Steve [email protected]

ST-M737 are not V compatible. They are M-system shift/brake lever.

While the rest of the 737 (XT) line remained relatively unchanged for 1996, the ST-M737 was replaced
in 1996 by the ST-M739. The ST-M739 was 8sp, and was itself replaced by the ST-M750 (9sp
V-compatible).

Reco

(I can give citations if anyone cares)