Shimano XTR For Roadie

May 14, 2007
I am thinking of switching from Look Keo's to Shimano XTR with a good stiff Mountain Bike Shoe due to a slip and fall that almost broke my arm. I am usually pretty careful and use cleat covers, but on Sunday I was having breakfast with some buddies after 1/2 of a ride, went into a bagel shop forgetting to install the covers.

Next thing I knew I was on the floor, my elbow in excruciating pain and pretty shaken up.

My fault, absolutely no doubt about that.

Anyway, thinking about a recessed cleat shoe so walking is not an issue.

Any thoughts?

Shimano SPD-SL pedal cleats have rubber feet and are safe to walk on, although not as comfortable for walking as recessed cleats. Pedals are great - certainly better than any MTB-style SPD pedal.

9202 said:
I am thinking of switching from Look Keo's to Shimano XTR with a good stiff Mountain Bike Shoe due to a slip and fall that almost broke my arm. I am usually pretty careful and use cleat covers, but on Sunday I was having breakfast with some buddies after 1/2 of a ride, went into a bagel shop forgetting to install the covers.

Next thing I knew I was on the floor, my elbow in excruciating pain and pretty shaken up.

My fault, absolutely no doubt about that.

Anyway, thinking about a recessed cleat shoe so walking is not an issue.

Any thoughts?
Lot's of people ride ATB shoes on road bikes so they CAN get off the bike and walk comfortably. Good ATB shoes have a stiff sole and that's the basic requirement for any cycling shoe. Pretty much what you would be sacrificing is some weight savings. Don't even think twice about it. Unless you are actually racing, it makes little difference in how you and the bike perform.

It would be great if you aren't racing. MTB shoes are heavier and usually flexier (to allow some walking ability) than their road counterparts. But if you don't race then you probably won't care about the difference between shoes, and won't notice a difference. Try to get a good stiff set though as I had a flexy set of lakes with crank bros pedals and the point of contact on the pedal became uncomfortable after 45min-an hour. Not ride destroying but irritating. Louis Garneau shoes are good.

Went to the LBS this afternoon. Tried a half dozen shoes and found the SIDI Dominator 5 to be very confortable and stiff. Then I tried SS Egg Beaters and was amazed at how much I liked them.

Tomorrow I will be trying the Shimano and Speedplay pedals.

So far, I really like the Egg Beaters. In fact, I met two racers there who are currently using them.

9202 said:
Went to the LBS this afternoon. Tried a half dozen shoes and found the SIDI Dominator 5 to be very confortable and stiff. Then I tried SS Egg Beaters and was amazed at how much I liked them.

Tomorrow I will be trying the Shimano and Speedplay pedals.

So far, I really like the Egg Beaters. In fact, I met two racers there who are currently using them.
My buddy uses Egg Beaters with the road cleat. The road cleat has two small rubber patches next to the cleat so you don't slip. I switched bikes with him for a couple miles out and they were awesome. Super easy to walk in.

9202 said:
I race in egg beaters (and like them) but I can see how people who were strong sprinters perhaps wouldn't like them so much.

As per another thread there are a few hassles with them:

a) They do chew the sole of the shoe regardless of whether it's a MTB or road show. I fixed it by having a metal shim made to prevent direct contact between the sole and the cleat.

b) Less and less road shoes these days support the SPD platform, it's all 3 hole Look and SPD-SL. So if you are partial to road shoes, you end up limiting your shoe options.

--brett